Search the forum,

Discuss Is it worth adding a magnetic filter to an older gas boiler? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

J

james63

I have an old (~2006) Potterton powermax boiler. It's a gas system boiler with a small unvented cylinder in one small package, in a flat. Because of the location in the flat it's going to be very difficult or maybe impossible to replace so I want to try to get it to last as long as possible. In ~2016 it had a full strip down for an out of warrenty safety recall repair, and has been running great since then.
Is it worth getting a magnetic filter filtered and having cleaner and inhibitor treatment? I thought it would be, but was talked out of it by the first plumber I spoke to.

Radiators fitted were quite high end I think and the system is still working well. I know it won't last forever but if the magnetic filter doesn't do any harm and could give it a couple of years / protect the heat exchanger I thought it would be worth it. Because of the difficulty of replacement I will be looking to keep it going as long as possible even when parts get very expensive (pumps, PCBs etc.). But also I know sometimes stirring things up can make it worse so I wouldn't want that. But again I thought if the magnetic filter is fitted first, before the cleaning cycle, it should catch most of the stuff and not risk the heat exchanger.

In general I would say yes it's worth fitting one and also inhibitor but if the syst is clean, water quality is good and hasn't had any drain downs or topups then it may be pointless.
In some situations I would only recommend doing it alongside other works, as and when it becomes necessary.

Thanks very much. In this case no other work is necessary at the moment, I'm just concious that the boiler is getting near end of expected life and replacing it will be difficult or impossible (many flats in the development have had to move to wet electric) so thought that might factor in the decision to prolong it as long as possible.

I understand that a new boiler would probably need to be moved to a bedroom because the flue run from the internal cupboard where it's currently sited is too long and the ceiling void is not high enough to support the drop angle now required.

I've seen a few with boxed in flues and they don't look bad.
A few manufacturers do twin flues at around 80mm which would allow a better fall.
There are usually options just most go for the easy one (especially if rented).
I would maintain that it's prob not worth it just for adding a filter.
If you were to have the system flushed and balanced I'd say thats good maintenance and fitting a magnetic filter at that time would be a good idea.

Reply to Is it worth adding a magnetic filter to an older gas boiler? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

N
Our ~15-year-old boiler just broke down (the spark igniter gave out), and set out a discussion to go ahead and replace it, as it's starting to kettle as well, and it will probably just be downhill from here. Background: 1905 built (renovated in 2010) Edwardian terraced. The house is 2 floors...
Replies
Views
The council are offering to update the fire and inefficient old radiators and replace the old fashioned boiler with a new combi one. They want to move the boiler from the tank cupboard in the bedroom to the much bigger walk-in wardrobe, presumably for convenience as there seems to be a gas pipe...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Hi I've just had my annual maintenance check on my boiler (in title), it will be 8 years old in May this year and is (I think) still under guarantee as I get it checked annually with British Gas (they installed it and said the guarantee would be extended until it is 10yr old if I kept the annual...
Replies
Views
Current boiler Worcester Greenstar 30CDi installed Aug 2011. Started showing error EA. Initially a rest made it work again but last Thursday it would reset but then showed the same error after a few minutes. No heating (only problem is heated towel rail does not heat) but also no hot water. Then...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock