Search the forum,

Discuss Is it time for new water heater? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

My 50 gal electric WH has water coming up out of this hole in the top. It just fills to the top and slowly runs out over the side. What can cause this and is it time for a new WH?

Attachments

• Hot water heater 1.JPG
    Hot water heater 1.JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Hot water heater 2.JPG
    Hot water heater 2.JPG
    347.9 KB · Views: 6
Unfortunately yes unless one of the pipes is leaking and it’s collecting in the hole my guess would be the cold pipe maybe leaking ?

The inlet and outlet pipes aren't leaking. They would be under pressure anyway right?

What is that hole? A maintenance tech working on my geo-thermal heat pump pointed it out to me and said the tank is getting too much pressure building up. I thought if it got too much pressure the relief valve on the side would pop open? Or is that one only if the water gets too hot?

Correct

could be used as a secondary safety valve like the one on the side so instead of being on the side it can go on the top so could be a blank is leaking

and correct

Yes could be best to dry it out and have a look

That plastic ring that is around the plug, do I just pry it off with a screw driver? Then take the plug out with a socket wrench?

What can cause this and is it time for a new WH?

cause by a pressure of your WH the hole is design whenever there's too much pressure on it

I have a deep well and I've always had the pressure set a little higher than standard. The pump pressure valve went out about 6 months ago and when they put in a new one I had them set it higher again. It appears to be turning the pump on about 45 PSI and off at 65 PSI. The WH is about 15 years old. Do you think setting the pump control back to 40 on and 60 off, like factory specs, would help? I wonder why it took so long to start leaking.

Reply to Is it time for new water heater? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock