Search the forum,

Discuss Is it safe to smash this tank up? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Jerry

Gas Engineer
2019-09-16 12.31.46.jpg

Hello All,

Anyone know if these tanks are dangerous if I break it up to remove?

Cheers

Hi Jerry,

This looks like asbestos cement, and although classed as non licensed work, it’s still a risk, especially damaging it (smashing it up as you say). It’s better being removed whole and collected by a licensed asbestos carrier.

Thanks,
Chris.
Cheers Chris! Always best to ask!

I would spray it with water, smash it up, and while still wet pop it into
the proper bags and then take it to your local re cycling centre but give prior notice. If all else fails we just dump that stuff on M6 out back of the vans on Fridays on way home....NOT
centralheatking
If it was me in my house id do the same, take it out whole, into the back garden and have the wife stand with the hose pipe spraying it while I gave it a few hits with a sledge hammer to put into more manageable bits. Contact your local waste centre for the appropriate bags and dispose of it free of charge. Asbestos cement is well bonded and highly absorbent so it's fairly safe to work on so long as it's wet.

As suggested it should be taken out whole and perhaps with some assistance.

If it's as heavy as it looks I'd actually cut the top of the door frame off and slide it out as it's part of a larger frame and won't be compromised. If nyou're careful you could glue, screw and fill the cut out piece back in, depends if it's just the tank or also everything else that you're removing.

I thought he was diy too, didn't see the gsr badge. If your doing it for a customer, take it out whole and leave it for the customer. Don't break it at all because your customer can then charge for a professional clean up of the asbestos dust which will include changing all the carpets in any room you've walked in.

If it's a paying job then you need to leave it or remove it using an approved method/ company. Personally I'd make it removable and get a company to take it away. Keep all receipts/ certificates for as long as your alive to cover yourself.

Reply to Is it safe to smash this tank up? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
Went to a customer today their glow worm Ultracom 24 HE goes to fire up then cuts out turning the heating pump off, then does the same again before firing and running. Occasionally shows the flame is lit on display but flow temp doesn’t go much past 26. Then if you turn off and try again...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
I have flushed a CH system removed each Rad and removed any residue of black sludge filled the system up and treated with inhibitor. However after 2 days the water in the Overhead tank is gone red. The Ground floor rads are piping hot and the upstairs are Luke warm bleed the rads still no joy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock