Search the forum,

Discuss Is it possible to use jg speedfit pipe and fitting, to replace small section of copper? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

hi, so we had tried to fit an isolation valve into copper pipe that came close from the mains supply, but i'm not proud of it. we had to leave the mains water valve at half pressure or else the fittings would leak/pop off.
It was my first attempt at plumbing and i assumed i could easily move the pipe into the fittings, however the pipes didn't budge and so couldn't properly secure the fittings.

I looked into pex piping and thought it would be possible to use speedfit pipe and fittings, because the pipe is flexible. (i mentioned john guest because it doesnt need crimper tools)

I thought i'd ask you guys for advice, before i do something that might not work. Sorry if it looks like a mess
IMG_20190522_172848.jpg
IMG_20190522_172859.jpg

Stop before you make more mistakes!
Those valves have ptfe tape on threads which is pointless.
Also noticed the valve is not parallel onto the pipe???
You can get slip fittings, or remove more of the pipe to fit valves.
Another last resort way is to use 2 elbows to make a ‘U’ shaped pipe for valve etc

Stop before you make more mistakes!
Those valves have ptfe tape on threads which is pointless.
Also noticed the valve is not parallel onto the pipe???
You can get slip fittings, or remove more of the pipe to fit valves.
Another last resort way is to use 2 elbows to make a ‘U’ shaped pipe for valve etc
i just want to join the pipe together and dont need valves, could you explain what slip fittings are? sorry i'm a newbie

Slip fittings have no ‘stop’ part in middle of them, so can be pushed onto one pipe and pulled back over another pipe end.
But you don’t need that. Just ordinary connectors needed, brass compression, or soldered or plastic.

In your job it would be probably best to cut and remove a larger section of pipe and replace it with a new piece full size.
You need to unclip the pipe so to allow a little movement out or upwards on both sides to be able to use the final connector.
Only requires about 20mm of a gap to allow the connector to be able to line up with the pipe

okay, i'll follow your advice.
when you say cut a larger section of pipe, roughly what length? the red line or blue line, or longer?
IMG_20190522_172848_LI.jpg
also should i use a straight coupler on one end and the slip coupler for the other end?

Because you are doing away with the isolator valve, your pipe will be too short of meeting, so you need to replace a piece anyhow.
You would need a piece longer than the blue line I would guess.
You probably will not need a slip connector, but you could have them ready just in case.
Just a connector onto each side will do if the pipe will lift enough.
Personally I would unclip the pipe and see what movement it has. The more you lift the pipes (that are to a tight together length) the more the gap will widen.
Just be fairly gentle with the pipes so not to disturb other joints or kink pipes.
When out of the clips, the pipes should lift up or outwards 150mm no bother I would hazard a guess at

Because you are doing away with the isolator valve, your pipe will be too short of meeting, so you need to replace a piece anyhow.
You would need a piece longer than the blue line I would guess.
You probably will not need a slip connector, but you could have them ready just in case.
Just a connector onto each side will do if the pipe will lift enough.
Personally I would unclip the pipe and see what movement it has. The more you lift the pipes (that are to a tight together length) the more the gap will widen.
Just be fairly gentle with the pipes so not to disturb other joints or kink pipes.
When out of the clips, the pipes should lift up or outwards 150mm no bother I would hazard a guess at
how much of a gap should i leave between sections, for coupling?

how much of a gap should i leave between sections, for coupling?

None! The pipes need to be a tight fit.
The gap I refer to is what you need to enable the final connector to go to edge of pipe by lifting both pipe ends up to make a gap.
Best you get a plumber to do it for you.

Cut the pipe CLEAN THE PIPE pop the top off the clips get 2 more couplers and some paste not ptfe. Slide nut and olive over with a bit of gentle movements slowly pull pipe forward and inch slide fitting in then push back into clips tighten up fittings Bob's your uncle all sorted

Cut the pipe CLEAN THE PIPE pop the top off the clips get 2 more couplers and some paste not ptfe. Slide nut and olive over with a bit of gentle movements slowly pull pipe forward and inch slide fitting in then push back into clips tighten up fittings Bob's your uncle all sorted
great advice, thanks

Reply to Is it possible to use jg speedfit pipe and fitting, to replace small section of copper? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock