Search the forum,

Discuss is it OK to leave heaters off all year round? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello.

I have 2 rooms where I do not spend much time in... one of them is like a storage room. and other is like a room where I keep my wet laundry for drying (leaving window slighlty open all the time).

both of the rooms have gas based heaters (central heating based). to save gas I am thinking to keep these heaters off all year round. is it a good idea?

I wonder, would it not affect pipes in a negative way? and also would it not affect carpets, walls (especially in the room where wet laundry is kept) if there was no heating all year round all the time?

thank you for any comments.

I'm not a heating engineer, but I don't think it's wise, the money saved will be minimal and having cold spots in you home is not good.

in any building occupied by humans my advice would be to keep them heated and aired

If you have thermostatic radiator valves TRV's then just leave them on number 1 so the rad only come on to just air the room and will shut off at a low room temperature. If no TRV's fitted then you may want to consider investing in some. You can just turn them off but in my experience this could cause problems in time to come with the stagnant water sediment settling in the dormant rads due to no flow through for long periods of time.

I have seen many unoccupied spaces destroyed by moisture and lack of air

An unheated room in a central heated house with just cause damp . TRV set to 1 or 2 will be sufficient .

We have two holiday lets in Cornwall (which is always damp) we close them up Jan to Easter. Over the years we have learned how to handle it. 1. Put some windows on trickle vent 2. Put slight heat..trv for you on 1 just above frost. 3. Avoid little micro climates so strip beds take wall hangings down (mould loves the gap between wall and picture frame). The trick is to avoid see saw temps 4. Thouroughly clean carpets
before closing up. 5. Take curtains down. centralheatking

thank you for the comments. I dont wanna tart a new thread, so I thought I would ask one more question related to the central heating. is it a good idea to turn the boiler off when leaving the house and turn it on when coming back home? I mean to keep it on only while being at home, cause I do not see a point of heating the house while Im away for 9 hours.

A heating system with radiators should bring a dwelling up to heat quite quickly, underfloor heating must be left on to keep the thermal mass background heat up.
centralheatking

Personally I advise my customers to leave their heating thermostat set to 15° c when the house is unoccupied on their return it easier to raise it to a comfortable temperature , insulation and draught proofing is vital if your looking to reduce your usesage then maybe a weather compensation maybe work for you . Kop

You will have no frost protection with the boiler turned off.
As above, invest in insulation and better controls to reduce energy bills

thank you for the comments. I dont wanna tart a new thread, so I thought I would ask one more question related to the central heating. is it a good idea to turn the boiler off when leaving the house and turn it on when coming back home? I mean to keep it on only while being at home, cause I do not see a point of heating the house while Im away for 9 hours.

That's more or less how I run my system as the house is not occupied from 8am until 5pm. No timers, no programs, I just have the boiler set to always on and use the hall thermostat as a switch to put it on and off when coming and going or going to bed at night. There is nothing wrong with running a system this way. It is only on when we feel too cold and we don't pre-warm the house. Just come in the door and whack it on at the stat.

I see turning up my stat to bring on the heating as akin to lighting a fire to keep warm. Most modern systems heat up fast enough that this effective enough for me.

That's more or less how I run my system as the house is not occupied from 8am until 5pm. No timers, no programs, I just have the boiler set to always on and use the hall thermostat as a switch to put it on and off when coming and going or going to bed at night. There is nothing wrong with running a system this way. It is only on when we feel too cold and we don't pre-warm the house. Just come in the door and whack it on at the stat.

I see turning up my stat to bring on the heating as akin to lighting a fire to keep warm. Most modern systems heat up fast enough that this effective enough for me.
In all this thread I see no mention of hive and remote stuff, zoneing etc weather compensation because ultimately its a waste of money, and as its still new goes wrong. I am an advocate of new products but only when they are suitable and work effectively. There are loads of posts on PF to do with the wireless stuff not doing it....
Wait 5 years to see what will happen....all the present stuff is SO intermediate, I know I have been shown where it will end up..
centralheatking

I have no personal interest in complex heating controls for the average home. A standard wired 2 channel programmer (when a HW cylinder is present), room stat, S-plan zone valves and TRVs is all most people need to run their heating properly.

In so many cases I believe all this "Smart" stuff is a solution looking for a problem.

The caveat being a system truly properly configured, weather compensation, modern controls (wired though) can be a thing of beauty but in my humble opinion most of it is either not properly configured or not needed. Any savings made often end up lost to component failures just outside the warranty period.

also, I don't really understand. if humidy causes problems in regular rooms, whats about the bathroom? it is always humid there, does it mean heater needs to be on all year round in the bathroom?

also, I don't really understand. if humidy causes problems in regular rooms, whats about the bathroom? it is always humid there, does it mean heater needs to be on all year round in the bathroom?
Light heat and Ventilation, We visit so many double glazed sealed box homes, they stink, are damp
and its all the residents fault....fresh air gentle low level heat and a slight draught. People produce massive amounts of moisture. centralheatking

also, I don't really understand. if humidy causes problems in regular rooms, whats about the bathroom?
Bathrooms have always needed to have proper ventilation. This used to be an openable window but these days there should also be a timed electric fan and undercut on the door to allow it to work properly.

That's why the building regulations specify proper extraction systems are fitted in bathrooms as condensation is indeed a problem otherwise.

That's why the building regulations specify proper extraction systems are fitted in bathrooms as condensation is indeed a problem otherwise.
Indeed Stig, the result is modern homes which fully insulated with 2x glazing but the people who inhabit them do not understand and live in a damp awfull fug of their own making, then maybe wonder why they get ill so often. Ventilation was a 50's mantra as a part of the Parker Morris standards for all
comunity type homes. then central heating turned up and then the muppets. centralheatking

Reply to is it OK to leave heaters off all year round? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock