Search the forum,

Discuss is it dangerous to turn off your water mains(due to a dripping tap in kitchen) and : in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

luckyloufire

keep the boiler on? I have a biasi combi boiler!
Not sure whether i have done the right thing. My plumber wants too much and cant afford too pay it yet so have turned off the dripping tap for now from the mains under the sink...but it is still dripping!(even though i have turned open all the taps in the house to let the air out! ? But the heating is still on as in the combi!
Is it safe to keep it on with no mains water running and if so for how long? I think the problem is more than a washer problem as the hot tap wouldnt open completely. i think the threads have broken and need re-threading or whatever its called...
Can any plumbers give me some advice please?

Re: is it dangerous to turn off your water mains(due to a dripping tap in kitchen) an

Ill give you some advice m8 get a plumber in , the job mite take you all day and it mite end up worse off
as a plumber will do it in 5mins and if it go's rong you can get him back
if you end up faffing it up it mite cost you more

a wise man once said (a wise man lerns from uthers mistakes and not his own)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: is it dangerous to turn off your water mains(due to a dripping tap in kitchen) an

Hello,

Leaving a combi boiler on (presumably for heating?) with the mains isolated won't cause a problem.

Running the DHW side of a non-combi boiler while the hot water cylinder is empty would be a slightly different matter.

Hope you manage to get it sorted soon,

Have you considered just replacing the tap. Kitchen taps can be had at very good prices if your not to worried about asthetics. If you have a fancy looking tap that you want fixed then it will be a case of calling around a few different plumbers and getting it done right.

Nowadays some things are just not worth fixing and its cheaper to replace.

Phone for other plumbers. Not all of us charge enough!!

how much was your plumber charging that made you decide it was too much?

Whatever the quote was it was obviously more than they could afford. Even £20 or £30 is beyond the budget of some. If you are skint there is not much you can do.
Shop around is the best advice and if you are somewhere with a small community ask around and find an apprentice plumber who will do it cheap.

Running the DHW side of a non-combi boiler while the hot water cylinder is empty would be a slightly different matter.

And what makes you think that???

And what makes you think that???

I've had a hot water coil crack when the a cylinder was heated while empty and then filled with cold water. It was an old system and the risk is low, hope it didn't sound like I was overplaying it - I did say it would be a slightly different matter :)

I could see how that might happen Wheeto. I think that's good advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to is it dangerous to turn off your water mains(due to a dripping tap in kitchen) and : in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock