Search the forum,

Discuss Is installer liable 2 years in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys,

I had a terrible install in 2019 that has a litany of issues, all sorted after a while.

my boiler started overheating and switching off, seemed like the DAB evosta 40-70/130 pump wasnt getting power, i called DAB in the UK for advice and on removing the casing say it was full of water on the fuseboard. I was told this isnt fixable.

My pump is in my boiler, so not something obvious to notice the union leaking into the pump, question is 2 years for a good pump so be ruined already, is the company liable? they stated 12 months equipment warranty, but i feel this is a very short life for a pump. Is it wishful thinking to expect ant help, the recently refused to service as they are 'moving away from oil', and they have to pay me out of my 9 years free service plan they offered me.

Was your oil boiler installation signed off through OFTEC and serviced accordingly in the last two years?
Your boiler should still be under warranty if so and you should be able to have it replaced. However if the problem is a result of poor installation and a subsequent leak then you might be out of luck.

Dab would be your best bet as it’s there pump or the boiler manufacturer as the warranty is with them

Technically yes, the installer is liable. Consumer Rights Act 2015. But often worth a try claiming via manufacturer warranty as they have more money and a bigger reputation to lose and may give you a faster resolution.

What is the make of boiler? The installer is liable only if they have not followed the manufacturers instructions. If the pump is inside the boiler and part of the boiler so to speak then it will fall under the boiler manufacturers warranty, this then depends on who the manufacturer is as some offer 5 years parts and labour, some offer 2 years parts only etc. etc. This to will be affected by annual servicing etc dependent on the warranty small print of the manufacturer. They may provide you with a free pump under warranty but you will have to pay the installer to replace.

If the pump is not within the boiler case and is a "third party" pump then DAB themselves will hold the warranty, again this will depend on their individual warranty information.
Most installers will offer a 12 month warranty on their work, some will replace as a goodwill gesture, others you will not be so lucky and will have to cover labour costs past the 12 months.

A faulty product and dodgy installation are two very different areas.

I suppose the question is who supplied the boiler. If the installer supplied the boiler then the requirement for the unit to last 'a reasonable time' kicks in under the CRA. The question is what constitutes a 'reasonable time'. Loads of people on here will say it's not true and the installer can't be liable if the boiler was correctly installed but there is a difference between warranty and statutory rights. I'd suggest the citizens' advice website as a starting point.

I would always expect a call from a customer if there were any issues going forward after an installation, I would then rectify or call in the manufacturer under warranty. But I'm the first port of call.

You say they refused to service it and there had been 'issues' with the installation. So has it been serviced on or prior to 12 months of installation?

Has the installation been registered with the boiler manufacturer?

Has the installation been registered with building control and you issued with a certificate?

Have the installation issues shortened the life of the pump?

Obviously issues between yourself and installer but why haven't you been onto the boiler manufacturer?

Reply to Is installer liable 2 years in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock