Search the forum,

Discuss Is brushless motors a marketing ploy.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

malcky

Or is it a feature that is worth looking for?

As some may have gathered im looking into all sorts of power tools just now (still at college so plenty time to buy good stuff)....so sorry for all the questions, so now wanting to know if brushless motors is all its cracked up to be...more efficient, more power due to being more efficient, longer product life, lighter in weight and better battery life are some of the selling points claimed on brushless power tools.

Is this still very new technology as some brands dont have brushless in all there line up, where as looks like Bosch, Hitachi and Makita have loads of brushless gear?

Last edited by a moderator:
Every manufacturer has got it out or coming out soon. Each manufacture has a set budget for RandD, they will all be looking into it but it takes time as the budget is normally pushed towards adding to existing lines. The more that comes out the more the budgets will get pushed towards other brushless tools.
Its going to be a major improvement in the next 2-5 years and i would expect that eventually most the tools out now will go brushless when they are due for redesign/update.
personally i would wait awhile till they have ironed out the designs and problems, if your looking to buy a kit then you wont really get brushless anyway.

This along with future battery tech should see some mains tools bite the bullet. But we have to wait a good while yet and just stick to the mediocre li-on tech thats out now.

Last edited:
Aye I dont normally like getting new technology till any kinks have been ironed out either but I cam accross this kit Hitachi KC18DKL Cordless Kit 18v + 2 x 4.0Ah Li-ion Batteries + FREE bit set which both tools are brushless and seems like a cracking deal with the extra battery and the 3 year warranty.

Also the specs listed seems to be very good too and based on one of your replys to my other thread this drill has loads of torque...92nm, I also like the selectable speed functions on both the tools too giving more control.

one advantage of brushless is you can control the motors alot better so many of the new brushless tools will come with better features.

the drills you have linked are good quality, are you looking to buy now? you need to consider wether there are other tools in the range available and there costs, for example do they do a good sds, do they do a radio, etc.....

base your choice on the total picture.

I dont need to buy anything right now as at college, but if I see a good deal going for what appears to be a good product then I will get it.

Hitachi do lots of tools but wether they are any good or not I have no clue, but even if the above items were the only thing I got from hitachi would not be the end of the world as it has a 3 year warranty and maybe they will add more cordless tools to their range that will take the 4ah batteries which means I can but a bare unit.

From what ive read here, most folks would agree that an electric SDS drill is used for bigger jobs so my choice on that will be for any brand/model thats good.

I've got that set and it's the dogs danglies. The drill has got more torque than my mains drill and the driver will drive in 6" screws without a pilot.

brushless isn't new technology its just new for battery drills and yes it's worth having drill motors should last a lot longer

I've got that set and it's the dogs danglies. The drill has got more torque than my mains drill and the driver will drive in 6" screws without a pilot.

This is good to know....how is this deal..price wise, compared to when you bought it? and how long have you had this set?

Its not till middle of next year that college course will be completed so not in a rush to buy things now as will need a stack of other power tools too, so its basically if a cracking deal comes along....I will get it.

That's the same price I paid but I didn't get the free bits just the extra battery. I've had it a few months now. It put a 5" hole through a 6" log no problem. I've also used some of my smaller core bits in it when I couldn't be bothered to get the core drill out.

Well I stumbled accross this video on youtube which is testing Hitachi brush VS Hitachi brushless in 4 different test and the results are really impressive it has to be said.....I also like the fact they are comparing the same brand too, im assuming/hoping they picked identical/similar spec machines for the tests too (appart from brush/brushless obviously).

WTW: Hitachi Brush Vs Brushless - YouTube

Looks like the price increase for a brushless tool might pay for itself in the long run.

p.s. the tools I linked to in post number 3 above are NOT brushless...the site makes it seem they are but the model numbers of the items are normal brush items...I confirmed this from the Hitachi tools website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is brushless motors a marketing ploy.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts needed to operate it are now new. The symptoms indicated a broken/seized burner motor or oil pump. I wrongly assumed the motor so I ordered a new one only...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
Hi all Having some renovations done on ground floor and looking to get rid of / replace some of the older looking boilers on that floor (mainly Double panel, double convector, some double panel single convector. As well as replacing these I wanted to add a couple radiators too, but have become...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are designing and building cooking gas bottles with electronics controlled valves. These are for kids camping chalets. Its purely a safety feature because its kids. As you can tell, there is no big market for this product, its just to get these kids out camping. System description: So...
Replies
Views
Hi looking for some advice here if anyone would be so kind. Our existing system consists of an Ideal Logic Heat H15 heat only boiler paired to a 180L Kingspan Tribune XE Unvented Indirect Hot Water Cylinder (this is the Dual Stat version). Zone 1 (Downstairs) consists of 7 Radiators + Plumbed...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock