Search the forum,

Discuss Is a professional engineer correct to install a non recommended PCB in my boiler? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, hoping someone can help as I am clueless about boilers.
I want to know if it is ok and correct for a professional engineer to install a non recommended PCB in my boiler? It is not recommended by the manufacturer and has invalidated any further boiler insurance i have on it. The engineer's company have said that it is not illegal and it is absolutely correct and is gas safe but I'm confused because if it invalidates any insurance on the boiler then it cant be correct to install? The boiler is about 10 years old. Thank you

Any pictures of the PCB?
And exactly what boiler make / model is it.

Who has said the Boiler insurance is invalid and under what circumstances were they looking at the boiler?

If the boiler is / was insured, why was another Gas company called to it and subsequently fitted the "wrong" pcb?

It would be very unusual for a PCB not designed by the boiler manufacturer to actually fit and work.
They are very specific to both Manufacturer and model.

Any pictures of the PCB?
And exactly what boiler make / model is it.

Who has said the Boiler insurance is invalid and under what circumstances were they looking at the boiler?

If the boiler is / was insured, why was another Gas company called to it and subsequently fitted the "wrong" pcb?

It would be very unusual for a PCB not designed by the boiler manufacturer to actually fit and work.
They are very specific to both Manufacturer and model.
Thank you for your reply.
Its an ideal isar boiler. There was a fault with the boiler and when my current boiler insurer sent someone out to look at it, they told me theres a non-genuine part in there which is the PCB (green) and therefore has invalidated the insurance since ideal dont allow it. We traced it back to a repair done from our previous boiler insurer.

There’s a company that make PCBs for the likes of British Gas. There was a dispute between Ideal and BG as there a lot cheaper. The company hasn’t done anything wrong by fitting it and would have the small print in your contract to cover themselves. Ideal may well refuse to work on it but it’s mainly game playing by them

Pactrol have been making ignition units for boilers for years.

I used to maintain several Ideal Icos boilers, the Ideal badged controllers were rubbish, they only used to last a couple of years then melt.

I assume the current insurer is not Ideal themselves, so I suggest you email Pactrol and get them to confirm that there are no issues with using the green one and that they've had no issues from Ideal re using them.

I suspect your current insurer is trying to use this to use this as and excuse to avoid paying out for the repairs.

Also contact your insurer and ask for the written evidence that they have from Ideal to say that they do not approve of the green unit.

Thank you all for your advice.
My current insurer isn't ideal and neither was my previous one.
I have read an Ideal bulletin though that they don't allow non genuine parts in the boiler.
I will contact my insurer and also check the small print.
Thank you again.

Reply to Is a professional engineer correct to install a non recommended PCB in my boiler? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock