Search the forum,

Discuss Is 22mm pipe worth it when using a 15mm pressure equalising valve? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

Making some final decisions on the plumbing for our bathroom refit. Background: we'll be having a shower mixer tap on the bath, hot water is gravity fed, and cold is mains. So I'll be having a pressure equalising valve (PEV) before the shower mixer to balance the hot and cold. I know the shower power will be pitiful, and am happy with that.

But I don't want it to be any more pitiful than it has to be! So...

If the pipework from the cylinder to the PEV, and from the PEV to the tap, were all 22mm - would that perform better than 15mm pipes? I ask because the connectionson the PEV are all 15mm, and I don't know if it's a case of "the weakest link in the chain, as it is with so many of these things. Logic suggests to me that 22mm pipework would still be helpful. But I'm an armchair plumber, so it's over to you guys.

Cheers

Provided the flow that your mixer allows is sufficient that there would be a drop in the working pressure of the hot water entering the equalising valve (i.e. the pressure measured with the shower flowing) which, site unseen I'm guessing will be the case, then 22 will perform better than 15 even though it goes through a 15mm valve.

Is the tank not big enough to run a cold feed to the mixer and lose the pressure valve?

I think it is; it's a 50 gallon if memory serves. I'd need to nip up into the loft to double check.

We have considered a cold tank feed as an option. Not sure what would be the most expensive route... The tank is more or else above the bathroom, so it's in a good position. But the internal walls are solid and so the pipe would need to be chased in.

On top of that, when the boiler dies (hopefully not for a long time but you never know), we'll likely go for a new system entirely, and if we do that the loft tanks will become redundant. That would then mean having to replumb the cold to the bath. With the PEV, I'm pretty sure that could stay and so nothing would need to be done at that end. So it seems The PEV is the more future-proof option. If the cold feed was significantly less money, then maybe. But if not, then I think the PEV is the way forward.

Many thanks for the reply and for sharing your thoughts.

I think it is; it's a 50 gallon if memory serves. I'd need to nip up into the loft to double check.

We have considered a cold tank feed as an option. Not sure what would be the most expensive route... The tank is more or else above the bathroom, so it's in a good position. But the internal walls are solid and so the pipe would need to be chased in.

On top of that, when the boiler dies (hopefully not for a long time but you never know), we'll likely go for a new system entirely, and if we do that the loft tanks will become redundant. That would then mean having to replumb the cold to the bath. With the PEV, I'm pretty sure that could stay and so nothing would need to be done at that end. So it seems The PEV is the more future-proof option. If the cold feed was significantly less money, then maybe. But if not, then I think the PEV is the way forward.

Many thanks for the reply and for sharing your thoughts.
Just putting it out there so you’re aware. If you ran a new pipe from the tank, when you changed boiler. You could just connect the tank mains water fill line to the outlet to convert the supply. No need to mess around in the bathroom.

Fair point... Also, I'll be making the bath panel in such a way that it is removable. So access wouldn't be an issue anyway. And on top of that, the cold water main actually comes into the bathroom underneath the bath where the taps are. So it's not far away even if the change was to be made under the bath.

Hmmm... Perhaps another thread is in order weighing up which is the best of the two options...

Thanks for the help - much appreciated.

Reply to Is 22mm pipe worth it when using a 15mm pressure equalising valve? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock