Search the forum,

Discuss Internal Pipe in block of flats problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bigbeezer

Hi folks,

firstly if you could somehow explain to me or help me i would be eternally gratefull :cool:

my flat and the flat above me both have the same layout, our bathroom and kitchen are to the rear and at the front is the living room and bedroom,
i have a bit boxed in at 1 corner of my bedroom ceiling and noticed that there was a leak there as teh wallpaper was peeling away and the paper was waterstained, so i removed a panel and found a big pipe :confused: this pipe comes down from above and goes thru the wall into livingroom where it is also boxed in and i presume it goes under my floorboards and exits at the side of my flat as i have seen a pipe sise hole in the wall [although in 8 years staying there i have never seen any water coming out this pipe] anyway, upstairs is a rented flat and every time they put there water on for a bath etc you get a very loud sucking and blowing noise,and sometimes a wee bit banging,i think they got a plumber in years ago to do something with there cistern if i remeber correctly so could it be that there cictern is overflowing or not filling corretly or there water tank and the water is coming down this internal pipe [overflow pipe?] and there may be a leak in it?

thanks a lot for all those who take the time to read this.

Colin

sounds like a soil pipe they may have a leak on it upstairs,you need to have a word with their landlord/letting agents

would that not come out the back of there toilet and straight down to mine? which are on the other side of the building mate.

it's quite a big pipe,
something like this soil2.jpg

saw that on the internet and it looks the same size as the one running down thru my flat,
but like i say, it's on the other side of my flat from bathroom and kitchen.

thanks

well if thats where its wet,theres possibly something running down from above

yeah but what could the pipe be carrying as it's not the mains pipe etc? or near teh kitchen or bathroom, also that ain't my pipe just the nearest looking one i could find online, also the pipe exits my flat near the buzzer/entry door about 5 feet up the wall,and in 8 years staying there i have seen nothing ever coming out it.
really really frustrating. had a guy with a damp reader thing out and he says the wall is soaking right next to where it is boxed in,who would be at fault for this? me or the upstairs neighbour?
thanks again

it carries sewage and waste water,and if its leaking above your flat the neighbour,that said if your not on this soil anyway all neighbours problem to sort it out

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks mate,
i don't understand how it can carry waste though as it just ends up coming out a wall, it doesn't go down into a drain or anything outside,just sits in a hole in the outside wall.
surely a wast pipe would go down into a drain?
cheers

not at he mo mate,
but it's like a hloe for the pipe to come out, and the pipe is just on the inside of it, and this is about 5 ft up teh wall aboved the pavement

hello,
had a plumber out and he sasid it was a pipe to take away raqin water, he also said as it was inside a wall it was a job for a builder,he also said it could be that where the pipe was sealed,it may have cracked open and now be letting water down the side of it?]
i found it strange this was to take away rain water as i have guttering on the outside of our building, but i have sice been told that b4 i bought my flat [2003] or b4 i even started stayin in it [1998] they used to have flat roofs and that this is a pipe from they days? i also got told that it should be dead now as i have the guttering from when the council put a pitched roof on,is this true? do i have any grounds to phone the council about this if the pipe indeed should be dead? or will it be covered under my buildings insurance?
don't really want to get a builder in coz can't really afford it tbh,

cheers,

colin

Is a metal water pipe best for a block of apartments because the one what the block has is rubbish! It keeps leaking! Help please

Please register with us and start a new thread to receive an answer to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Internal Pipe in block of flats problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock