Search the forum,

Discuss Intermittant high water level in downstairs toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

In the last few days we've had high water level in downstairs toilet.
The first few flushes are good and waste flows away but eventually the water level rises in the pan to perhaps half the height of the pan and takes some hours to drain away.
Last night I poured 6 large buckets of hot water with washing up liquid into the pan. They all flowed away very fast with lots of gurgling. It seems to be that if the water was poured directly into central lowest part of the pan the hot water just disappears like there is no obstruction. If poured to the side of the pan the water disappears more slowly and seems more likely to cause a high water level, (but this may be madness on my part :) ).

When left overnight it drains away to the normal level. It then takes 6 or 7 flushes before the water level starts to rise to half the height of the pan again.

I've tried a sink plunger but its really too small and just pushes air around the u bend. We've ordered a R. SIGA 2 Way Rubber Toilet Plunger, Aluminium Handle and Faithfull Tools FAIPDRWCAUG Deluxe Toilet Auger - Clear off Amazon in the hope these tools may provide a fix.

I would welcome any suggestions as to what may be wrong and what has to be done to correct this.

Very many thanks to all.

Thanks to Riley and Stigster and Snowhead for their helpful replies and funny typos.
Would one of the much longer auger thingys be likely to clear it?
Would we need to disconnect the toilet from the waste pipe to use one of the much longer auger thingys?
Would a jetting company need to disconnect the toilet from the waste pipe?

This does not sound like its within the realms of DIY TBH. Hell even I don't do poo :eek::confused::(
My experience is to call someone with all the gear to see if they can dislodge whatever your issue is. Sometimes they can do it from downstream so don't have to remove, others it's a remove. No rule of thumb I'm afraid.
Have fun ;)

Thanks to Riley and Stigster and Snowhead for their helpful replies and funny typos.
Would one of the much longer auger thingys be likely to clear it?
Would we need to disconnect the toilet from the waste pipe to use one of the much longer auger thingys?
Would a jetting company need to disconnect the toilet from the waste pipe?
It will depend solely on where the obstruction is

You'll need a set of rods at least. Suggest Bailey locking type for diy. Start by lifting the manhole covers outside. Find blockage and apply elbow grease. It's dangerous and dirty and somewhat likely not to work. Watch out for rats and if it's a cast lid don't drop it down the hole. :eek:o_O
Lots of youtubes available.

In the last few days we've had high water level in downstairs toilet.
The first few flushes are good and waste flows away but eventually the water level rises in the pan to perhaps half the height of the pan and takes some hours to drain away.
Last night I poured 6 large buckets of hot water with washing up liquid into the pan. They all flowed away very fast with lots of gurgling. It seems to be that if the water was poured directly into central lowest part of the pan the hot water just disappears like there is no obstruction. If poured to the side of the pan the water disappears more slowly and seems more likely to cause a high water level, (but this may be madness on my part :) ).

When left overnight it drains away to the normal level. It then takes 6 or 7 flushes before the water level starts to rise to half the height of the pan again.

I've tried a sink plunger but its really too small and just pushes air around the u bend. We've ordered a R. SIGA 2 Way Rubber Toilet Plunger, Aluminium Handle and Faithfull Tools FAIPDRWCAUG Deluxe Toilet Auger - Clear off Amazon in the hope these tools may provide a fix.

I would welcome any suggestions as to what may be wrong and what has to be done to correct this.

Very many thanks to all.
Dont bother with any fancy stuff, go get a traditional mop
not the j cloth ones, make sure shaft is secure wet the mop head, close your mouth and pump away at bog using plenty of water. The hydraulic pressure you will generate is amazing ...Rob Foster centralheatking

Huge thanks to all who replied here. Its been very helpful. Just to let you know the outcome. As many of you suggested, the blockage was a long way downstream. Wessex Water arrived with some big jetting and rodding equipment and found the blockage by opening all the drain covers until the found the first one that was not full, then using their equipment from that drain, they unblocked it. Yayyyyyyyyyyy.

Reply to Intermittant high water level in downstairs toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey Guys I’ve noticed this weekend that my en-suite toilet pan water level is seeming to regress after an hour. Toilet flushes as normal and water levels are all fine in the cistern. If I flush the toilet and wait all looks fine. However after an hour the water levels have dropped by a couple...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm seeking advice on resolving the persistent blockage issues with my downstairs toilet. A year ago, I replaced an 80s close-coupled toilet with a more affordable model. This new toilet is a back-to-wall type featuring a concealed cistern within a separate unit. Since its installation...
Replies
Views
T
Hi all, seeking advice on my toilet. (Layman here, please be gentle with me.) When we flush the loo upstairs, it flushes fine (therefore assuming no suggestion of any actual blockage) but after the flush we get a rumbly gurgling from deep within the pipework somewhere and the water level in the...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I moved into a new build three bedroom, two bathroom bungalow about 2.5 years ago. Ever since we moved in there has been an issue with the water pressure. Toward the end of last year the pressure had got worse. For instance, you could not run another tap in the house if a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock