Search the forum,

Discuss Intergas HRE 30 SB - Hot Water colder after engineer visit in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning All.

I hope you can help. We recently had a (mostly) successful visit by an Intergas engineer who fixed problems with our boiler randomly turning off.

However. Since his visit the hot water has been noticeably cooler than it was before.

I’ve tried to change the temperature of (DHW) as per the instructions but the button won’t toggle to allow me to.

Is this because I have a tank attached as well and it therefore delegates hot water temp to that? Or, should this boiler be able to control the temp of water it sends to the tank itself?

There is a thermostat attached to the tank but I notice that the LCD dial is showing nothing (and I’m not sure it ever has).

As ever, all help gratefully received.

Many thanks, Steve.

May we have a little more information about your system, please? In particular what model of boiler do you have? Is you hot water tank normally heated by the boiler? (It may also have an electric immersion heater that should not normally need to be on.)

Do you have an Y-plan system (a single three-port valve that diverts the flow from the boiler between the cylinder and central heating) or an S-plan system (two or more two-port valves)? Post a photo of your pipework if you are not sure. Also the make and model of the thermostat on the tank (or a photo), please.

What do you mean by 'cooler'? If the water was very hot before due to the boiler running in an uncontrolled manner then it may have been dangerously hot and is now the 'correct' 60°C.

Hot water cylinders are traditionally controlled by a thermostat on the tank, which should be set to 60°C and a programmer (time switch) that causes the boiler to heat the tank once or twice a day for an hour or two. If you have a so-called S-plan system then you probably won't be able to set the DHW temperature on the boiler and you need to ensure that the flow temperature on the boiler is at least 65°C for satisfactory hot water.

Do you know what your 'Intergas' Engineer did to fix the boiler turning on and off randomly? Did he say, for example, "You've got a faulty thermostat on your HW tank. I've disconnected as a temporary fix but you will need to get a heating engineer to replace it for you." ?

Last edited:
May we have a little more information about your system, please? In particular what model of boiler do you have? Is you hot water tank normally heated by the boiler? (It may also have an electric immersion heater that should not normally need to be on.)

Do you have an Y-plan system (a single three-port valve that diverts the flow from the boiler between the cylinder and central heating) or an S-plan system (two or more two-port valves)? Post a photo of your pipework if you are not sure. Also the make and model of the thermostat on the tank (or a photo), please.

What do you mean by 'cooler'? If the water was very hot before due to the boiler running in an uncontrolled manner then it may have been dangerously hot and is now the 'correct' 60°C.

Hot water cylinders are traditionally controlled by a thermostat on the tank, which should be set to 60°C and a programmer (time switch) that causes the boiler to heat the tank once or twice a day for an hour or two. If you have a so-called S-plan system then you probably won't be able to set the DHW temperature on the boiler and you need to ensure that the flow temperature on the boiler is at least 65°C for satisfactory hot water.

Do you know what your 'Intergas' Engineer did to fix the boiler turning on and off randomly? Did he say, for example, "You've got a faulty thermostat on your HW tank. I've disconnected as a temporary fix but you will need to get a heating engineer to replace it for you." ?

Hi Chuck.

Sure. They say a picture paints a thousand words, so hopefully these will help (apologies the orientation is messed up after upload).

(The stat is "rusty" only because of the position of the pressurising value directly above it. (It has a tendency to drip a little when first opened)).

The stat is from ESI but is an older model as the QR code takes me to a dud page. I'm pretty sure there should be a reading on the LCD but as you can see it shows nothing.

Re what the IG Engineer did. Very little. He basically said it needed "a little love" and gave it a grease and various similar things. (I think he also replaced a seal). He didn't really look at the tank, other than to confirm that my need to (more than should be needed) re-pressurise (which I thought might have been related) needed another plumber to look at it. (Something to do with the large red container above the tank - I'm not an engineer, apologies).

Let me know if you need any other info.

Many thanks for all your help, Steve.

P.S. Yes. The Tank does have an immersion which I have periodically had to use (mostly when the boiler had been shutting itself off, or when my wife uses all the water!).

Attachments

• tempImagedunE3Y.png
    tempImagedunE3Y.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 20
  • tempImage64eOk5.png
    tempImage64eOk5.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 16
  • tempImageGwtnAm.png
    tempImageGwtnAm.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 15
  • tempImageFPRrj4.png
    tempImageFPRrj4.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 22
Can you show the front of your boiler panel please? Could it have been that the immersion heater was left on previously? That cylinder thermostat could be the issue too.

Can you show the front of your boiler panel please? Could it have been that the immersion heater was left on previously? That cylinder thermostat could be the issue too.

Sure. I’ve marked in blue the button I’m supposed to be able to press twice to toggle between CH and HW.

The immersion heater is only on occasionally and yes - the water gets very hot then. Too hot. The boiler used to heat it hotter than it currently does but not as hot as using the immersion.

Thanks, Steve.

Attachments

• 93263AC9-57D5-4D95-A743-308A657E7131.jpeg
    93263AC9-57D5-4D95-A743-308A657E7131.jpeg
    309 KB · Views: 16
On the stat eg 1-5 with the display turn it to 4-4.5 instead of 33/4

Sure. I’ve marked in blue the button I’m supposed to be able to press twice to toggle between CH and HW.
You don’t press it twice, you press and hold until CH temp starts to flash, then press temp button again to toggle to hot water temp, adjust and then press the arrow pointing up on the far right side to save.

You don’t press it twice, you press and hold until CH temp starts to flash, then press temp button again to toggle to hot water temp, adjust and then press the arrow pointing up on the far right side to save.
Sorry. My sloppy language. I mean you press and hold and then press again. As you say. The second press to toggle from CH to DHW doesn’t do anything.

Many thanks for your advice though.

Reply to Intergas HRE 30 SB - Hot Water colder after engineer visit in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m having a problem with hw venting into the small header tank. This happens when it’s set to hw only or CH. I’ve tried lowering the water level in the header tank but it makes no difference. The incoming hot water is being taken back into system via the primary circuit 15mm supply so...
Replies
Views
HI All My room thermostat (Digistat 1) gave up the ghost in the summer so I replaced it with a Digistat+3 (same backplate) It was fine until recently (it had got colder!) when I noticed that the radiators were not as hot as they used to be and the hot water was not as hot For example: I can...
Replies
Views
Hot water temperature is low. This varies at different flow rates. At 8lpm it is around 37deg (c) At 2lpm it is around 49deg (c) 8lpm is around the max flow rate. It is around the same flow rate / temperature at all taps (upstairs bath / upstairs sink / downstairs kitchen / downstairs...
Replies
Views
Recently over the past 2 months, the boiler or area by the water tank has started making a loud groaning noise whenever hot water has been running for much over a minute (sometimes less). Since the weather has gotten cooler, the radiators seem to come on (unless turned off at the TRV) whenever a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock