Search the forum,

Discuss Intergas boiler thoughts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

We heard about Intergas boilers from a family member who has just had one installed. The gas fitter he used raves about them saying how reliable they are. What are you forum members thoughts on them? . Only having 4 moving parts is appealing. The Rapid 32 model looks good value at around £700. Would this be a good replacement for an aging Worcester bosch 350?

There ok seen a few good reviews seen a few bad like any boiler it’s more down to the install I find

@king of pipes has installed a few

I think it's a bit like dacia bringing out a new car and saying theres less to go wrong with it. You dont get power steering though and no a/c and if you want to indicate you stick your arms out the window.

Intergas make it sound like they have invented the first direct fire boiler but worcester and potterton both had direct fire boilers years ago and if the design was that good do you not think they would be still making boilers like them.

As for the boilers lasting 20/30 years I very much doubt that any boiler made now will last 30 years.

Yea it is worth noting that this gas fitter gets points for fitting intergas boilers.After he collects so many points he gets a reward!

Question I got to ask. Worcester 350 Combi, trips out when you use hot and cold at the same time. Orange deposits out of the hot tap. Repair or replace?

Depends do you want the next 5 years plus trouble free potentially

I would if you could afford it

It would be me buying for them seems every few year the bosch needs new parts. New it was 70 % efficient. What's it likely to be now.... New boiler recommendations please.

What’s your set up atm ?

All the boilers are not as long lasting as they were. All have common issues. Fresh, clean system water, fully cleanaed and inhibited with a decent metal magnet should help increase reliability of any boiler. Alot of issues are caused by poor quality system water.

I never quite understand the intergas sales pitch of 4 moving parts. How many moving parts does the normal combi boiler have I can’t think of many more

I never quite understand the intergas sales pitch of 4 moving parts. How many moving parts does the normal combi boiler have I can’t think of many more

Pump, fan, gas valve, dhw flow sensor, diverted valve.

I think it was more they were trying to say they haven't got a diverter valve. My theory is though years ago other manufacturers had direct fire if there was any benefit to it other than no diverter valve then all the other manufacturers would be doing the exact same thing.

In a way it is clever they use the fear of having a diverter valve to sell boilers.

I am surprised other manufacturers haven't followed Worcesters diverters as they are now fairly reliable and if the motor goes they are dead simple and quick to replace.

I still don’t see it as much of a sale swinger for me. I haven’t ever come across a diverter motor that is difficult to change

I still don’t see it as much of a sale swinger for me. I haven’t ever come across a diverter motor that is difficult to change

Diverter in a sime was a nightmare. Worcester cdi's were a pain as well, the vaillant 242 was a bit of a pig at times.

But for me it’s not a major part to change if they wanted to be groundbreaking they could’ve come up with something far better to make a sale To me it’s the wrong approach because it sounds like you’re saying something will go wrong with your boiler but we remove this one part so that can’t be the problem

But for me it’s not a major part to change if they wanted to be groundbreaking they could’ve come up with something far better to make a sale To me it’s the wrong approach because it sounds like you’re saying something will go wrong with your boiler but we remove this one part so that can’t be the problem

I'm with you in thinking it's the wrong approach.

If you look at the worcester stepper motor they are really very reliable and if they do go they are dead simple to change.

Also there must be a reason every other manufacturer has gone for plate heat exchangers.

I would say the plate heat exchangers are cheaper to produce en mass and as we all know are subject to blockage. Intergas have obviously done away with this problem but I can’t help feeling that they must be cutting corners elsewhere to keep their price so competitive

I fully agree with you. Otherwise all the other manufacturers would be doing exactly the same.

Isn't it better a relatively cheap plate catches dirt or blocks up with scale otherwise where is it going to end up. I know I would rather replace the plate than the main heat exchanger.

It would be nice to know which is more efficient.

But again it’s a gimmick. It’s not really a deal breaker for 98% of customers

One thing that worries me about Intergas boilers is the spares. A pcb board £400. You may aswell scrap the boiler. Given the Rapid 32 only has a 3 year warranty. However 13.2l/m flow for £700 what other boiler can offer that?

I love and fit Intergas.
However, I would only ever fit their Combi boilers and then only the EcoRF with the 10 year warranty.
For other types of boiler (system and heat only), i would always go for the longest warranty for the cheapest price.

EcoRF with an annual service by Intergas or an Intergas approved installer is about £70-90 from googling.

So that's not bad for 10 years of peace of mind? Just pay for the annual service.

Plate heat exchangers block alot on the ch side, but also (area and water quality dependant) block from scale build up on the mains side.
Typically the supplies for Boilers (filling loop thereafter) are piped bypassing any ion exchange type water softeners due to aluminium heat exchangers rotting through and leaking through the use of softened water.

So the intergas approach is perfect for those in hard water areas where a water softener is installed as the supply to the boiler (including filling loop) can be fitted with no concerns about the water coming into contact with the aluminium.

Stainless heat exchanger obviously avoids this problem too, which there are plenty to choose from (at least in combi range... Seems to be quite a few less on heat only for some odd reason).

If you've got a knowledgeable installer who is very familiar with intergas and the use of opentherm with it then I think it's a great option personally.

Baxi 600 combi range is also good and value for money (brass, stainless steel and copper being primary materials), the heat only range on the other hand isn't as good in my view. Wish they'd make the heat only range identical to the combi just with blanking plates on diverter valve and plate heat exchanger point like glowworm used.

Reply to Intergas boiler thoughts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock