Search the forum,

Discuss Insulation installation around kitchen prior to underfloor heating in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone.

A slight conundrum im hoping to get some educated advice on from people who actually know.

Ill be having the whole of my downstairs dug up in order to install insulation (none present) with a 75mm screed on top. Ill then have a wet system underfloor heating installed. My question is do I really need to take out the kitchen units to dig under and lay the insulation? Or can I dig around the units and then lay a type of horizontal foam divider (or something similar) to separate the uninsulated kitchen unit area from the rest of the insulated kitchen area. This im hoping with then prevent the uninsulated bit from sucking all the heat from the insulated parts?

Hope this is clear but please ask away if not.

thanks in advance.

M

Are you doing it yourself or getting somebody in?

Kitchen would end up in a state trying to dig round it.

Getting washing machine, dishwasher in and out after will be hard or impossible.
Just thinking this through. If you don’t remove stuff, with the insulation (typically around 70mm) and the screed, the floor will be 150mm higher than the appliances (which will now be sitting in a hole?!?!

And if your not removing the cupboards/work surfaces, the surfaces will now be 150mm lower and you’ll need to kneel to use them?!?!

Or you gonna dig down 150mm?

Getting the machines out can’t be that hard, not compared to the headache of not taking them out.

Just take it all out. You, a mate and a couple of screw guns will likely have it all out in 1/2-1 day.

Just thinking this through. If you don’t remove stuff, with the insulation (typically around 70mm) and the screed, the floor will be 150mm higher than the appliances (which will now be sitting in a hole?!?!

And if your not removing the cupboards/work surfaces, the surfaces will now be 150mm lower and you’ll need to kneel to use them?!?!

Or you gonna dig down 150mm?

Getting the machines out can’t be that hard, not compared to the headache of not taking them out.

Just take it all out. You, a mate and a couple of screw guns will likely have it all out in 1/2-1 day.

Thanks everyone for your response. I appreciate the best thing to do would be to take out the kitchen units (cupboards) and granite worktop but this would be an added cost, not to mention the potential damage to them taking them out and then back in?

We do a fair bit of this sort of work,
(Polypipe registered contractors)
Your never going to get satisfactorily job leaving units in if nothing else the structural integrity of floor is going to be seriously compromised.

We do a fair bit of this sort of work,
(Polypipe registered contractors)
Your never going to get satisfactorily job leaving units in if nothing else the structural integrity of floor is going to be seriously compromised.
ok thanks. Don't suppose you operate in the Broxbourne (Hertfordshire) area?

Sorry no mostly work in God's own county with some missionary work in surrounding areas!
Would suggest you you get underfloor heating designed by one off the major manufacturers, and get one of their registered installer's to quote for the work. You will then have a full backup warranty.
Also don't let a screening contractor kid you they can do the pipework and manifold not seen a good job yet.

Reply to Insulation installation around kitchen prior to underfloor heating in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock