Search the forum,

Discuss Insulating UFH pipes in wall in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

Plumbers have just installed these pipes on brick wall - UFH hot water flow and return. The plasterer is coming on Friday to make the wall good - would welcome some advice on whether an expanding foam or some kind of insulation should be used before the plasterer makes good.

Happy to discuss and answer any questions to clarify the issue.

Attachments

• IMG_20210519_083013.jpg
    IMG_20210519_083013.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 38
Is the wall a damp wall / has it been damp proofed ?

That’s not good then as it’s basically invalid now and the wall / plaster will get damp

Looks like very poor workman ship those joints need throughly cleaning up and pressure testing before applying insulation, i would personally dot and dab the whole wall and plaster you will have less chance of cracking and more chance of failure . Kop

There appears to be flux left on pipes as KOP has noted - they need cleaning up. Also there should be some covering on pipes (even if it's only duct tape) to protect them from the plaster, and I personally would like to see at least some lagging to allow for expansion as well as to insulate.

Can't agree with the dot and dab idea though because if the external wall cracks you will then be separated from the outside by only a sheet of plasterboard and won't even know.

I'm not commenting on the damp proof issue as it's not something I feel I know enough about.

I still like a bit of hair felt with plastic lining, gives a bit of movement, a bit of insulation and a good key for plaster.
Again don't know about damp proofing but I would do something with that too

Reply to Insulating UFH pipes in wall in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock