Search the forum,

Discuss Instead of PTFE tape ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

easyt

I will bw fitting a Mira shower. These have a Z connector with 1/2 inch BSP on one end to fit a supply elbow and (probably) 3/4 on the other to fit into the mixer. As it is a Z connector designed to allow for differing supply pipe centres can't just use PTFE and tighten up as the ends to the mixer have to finish at correct centres. That means using some sort of fluid jointing compound. Any suggestions.

Easy T

I would use loctite 55, not a liquid but you can back off the thread if needed

might be wrong here but the adjustable centres work using o rings normally, why do you need ptfe etc, especially a liquid jointing compound which if you read most shower manufacturers instructions are verboten as youll block the cartridges etc. best to read the mfi and check your not barking up the wrong tree
only my opinion but you only need to use ptfe on a threaded fitting, olives work ok on their own if put together properly, why use ptfe, only looks untidy

Last edited by a moderator:
Manufacturers Instructions oldplumber are 'Apply suitable thread sealant (not supplied) and attach the offset connectors to the pipework in the wall. The offset connectors must protrude between 35 and 40 mm from the finished wall.

The connecting thread from the mixer is a 1/2inch male BSP thread. This has to be rotated to align provide the correct centres. (Damned silly idea I reckon. It allows for pipe elbow centres in the wall between 174mm and 126mm).

Sounds like the Loctite 55 Might do the job. Thanks

Easy T

Would Loctite 572 also be an option ?

Would ptfe tape let me fasten up and then back off to get alignment. I have used ptfe tape often but not sure of ius full abilities for realignment oldplumber.

EasyT

carefully try it and see, get your alignment right before you tighten right up

carefully try it and see, get your alignment right before you tighten right up

That's the problem oldplumber. The alignment is controlled purely by how far you wind the male bsp into the female on the elbow. It is not a freely moving coupling that you can align and then lock up.

Can't post the image on here as it is on pdf and too big,

http://www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/pdf/atom_diverter_iug.pdf

That is a link to a similar setup.

looked at loctite 55. That lets you tighten up and back off up to 45 degrees. Problem is I might have to back off nearly a full 180 degrees in worst case scenario. Looking like a setting liquid maybe.

You can always go to your plumbing merchant and get some straight fittings, i regularly do, some real good quality ones complete with chrome caps to hide the housing for about £15. I agree that the "z" fitting is a good idea in theory but in practise it is nowt but a pain
good luck:D

contact mira tech dept. they may have a solution to your problem that is not in instructions supplied with unit as I am sure you are not the first to have come up against this problem good luck regards turnpin:)

I fit all bar mixer showers on a "Shower Plate" and throw the z fixing in the scrap box or use the fast fixing with cover sheilds, tidy job and sturdy fixing ..

I have just the same problem. Pipes are rendered in and 160 mm between centres shower is 150 mm between centres. No option but to use the 'Z' connectors.

I have tried 3 times now to get things just so but have always ended up with one seal or other weeping (currently the hot is shedding about 1 tear drop every 6 hours or so).

That is with PTFE tape. I wonder if there are any tricks or tips? Over 'bandaging' seems to help but most surplus squashed out anyway. I plan on trying gas PTFE (thicker) or loctite 55 next. Really need a way to take up quite a lot of play between the threads.

Doesn't the shower end up on the **** unless the z connectors are in line with each other. Backin off ptfe usually leaves a leak.

i always get it set up right in first fix remove shower and the protect with paper and masking tape while its plastered and tiled i only use 55 now wonderfull stuff

Doesn't the shower end up on the **** unless the z connectors are in line with each other. Backin off ptfe usually leaves a leak.

Yup that's exactly the problem :) Even if you don't back off (edge each one into position forwards only) you still can't tighten the whole way as once everything lines up you need to stop.

i always get it set up right in first fix remove shower and the protect with paper and masking tape while its plastered and tiled i only use 55 now wonderfull stuff

What is 'SS' ?

I fit all bar mixer showers on a "Shower Plate" and throw the z fixing in the scrap box or use the fast fixing with cover sheilds, tidy job and sturdy fixing ..

eems like a good idea Spudhater

Hi. If the female fitting in the wall has a shoulder at is thread depth? Have you tried a red fibre washer (as on tap connector) or two, put in female against shoulder and then screw in male z fitting.

start with the connectors level but wider tha the shower centers ,cap and test then once tiled tighten both equaly to the right center

youre the one at the job mate - i always use a little tube of "L.S.X." - Toothpaste tube size 5quid, so quite expensive, but its an amazing threadseal gel type substance - that explodes into hard sealed waterproof plastic if touched by water . . . dont wear nice clothes as it ruims t - guess what,? never had a leak yet with it!!! ( worded that well didnt i? -regards moore

See " Shower PL8" 150mm centers

Thanks all. I have picked up a shower pl8 from local merchant Spudhater. Didn't haggle as I thought his price £20 was OK and his price for the main items was very good compared to other suppliers locally. (Also a pleasant, helpfull guy to deal with).

Thanks all. I have picked up a shower pl8 from local merchant Spudhater. Didn't haggle as I thought his price £20 was OK and his price for the main items was very good compared to other suppliers locally. (Also a pleasant, helpfull guy to deal with).

I once bought a tube of 'liquid ptfe' it was good stuff. Not good enough to buy twice. but perhaps thats the product you're after?

I once bought a tube of 'liquid ptfe' it was good stuff. Not good enough to buy twice. but perhaps thats the product you're after?

Hi DannyP.
I did consider a similar product to the one you describe but considered that, at the end of the day, it was a well to ditch the Z-connectors.

Not an option for me as the pipes are set into the wall at 160mm centres and the shower mixer has (standard) 150mm centres :(.

Manufacturers Instructions oldplumber are 'Apply suitable thread sealant (not supplied) and attach the offset connectors to the pipework in the wall. The offset connectors must protrude between 35 and 40 mm from the finished wall.

The connecting thread from the mixer is a 1/2inch male BSP thread. This has to be rotated to align provide the correct centres. (Damned silly idea I reckon. It allows for pipe elbow centres in the wall between 174mm and 126mm).

Sounds like the Loctite 55 Might do the job. Thanks

Easy T

Would Loctite 572 also be an option ?

Maybe a bit late hear but its Loctite 577 for me, for every thing;)

Maybe a bit late hear but its Loctite 577 for me, for every thing;)

Is that the liquid??

I did think of that but decided a showerpl8 had additional advantages and ptfe tape is OK in that case. .

EasyT

Thanks Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Instead of PTFE tape ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock