Search the forum,

Discuss Instant hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrlennie

Hi I have been asked by a customer to install 2 hot water heaters for kitchen sink and bathroom with a view to removing vented cylinder. My question is what appliance do you recommend?

Also I have not looked at their electrical supply yet but I'm guessing they don't have much spare so low KW is a plus.

I'm afraid you'll need an unvented ticket - or have you got one? Hopefully that's not too cheeky a question or comment.

Assuming you have the qualification, how big is the house and why two heaters? Won't a combi boiler do? Or a hot water cylinder on Economy 7?

Hi no I don't have the ticket but I was under the impression you could get one like the way an electric shower works. It is only a small thing that works when you turn the tap on.

The house doesn't have gas.

Thanks for the response dontknowitall

Is there space for gas canisters or an oil tank? Obviously if it's a two up/two down this is overkill but if it's a 3+ bedroom house then this is a viable option.

Cheaper alternative (to install but not to run) is to have a hot water cylinder heated by immersion heater(s). How do they get their hot water and heating at the moment and what size of property is it?

(Thank you for the thank you - always appreciated!!)

No the idea is to get rid of the vented which is heated by immersion heaters. They have an electric shower and two bedrooms. The cylinder is in the bedroom and they want rid and a simple box underneath the sink to heat the water. The taps are rarely used and needed just for hand washing if that lol.

A little under sink unvented heater is probably the best but you can get over the sink heaters (those boxes with ugly spouts). Unfortunately for you, you'd need a ticket for the under sink option. And it would need to be large enough to provide heat for the kitchen sink and bathroom basin and installed somewhere so it can vent to outside.

Hope this helps a little but sorry I can't be more positive.

you dont need an unvented ticket for 15l undersink water heaters and a 3kw ariston one will easily supply a sink and basin, which is ok if they have an electric shower for bathing. have lookon the net for prices and ensure a sparky wires it in correctly and use a decent plumber to put it in who knows his stuff, if you feel you need more than 15l storage then an unvented ticket is needed and cost rise quickly for bigger cylinders

You could use a Redring Powerstream which is available in 9.5, 10.8 and 12kw. Basically an inline heater which works like an electric shower. Very compact and neat looking and don't need any additional controls or exp vessels etc. Cost around £120+vat.
You will need a decent electric supply if fitting more than one or it can be done using contactors. Not sure how it is done exactly but a decent spark would know and advise. They will supply up to 2 basins or a basin and shower. Used to fit them on petrol stations as they only supplied a sink and a basin. Worked good enough.
Zip and Sadia do them too.
Apart from that you are looking at an undersink heater.

Oldplumber and Tamz - thank you for those snippets. I didn't know how good these smaller units are. Obviously not good enough for a bath but now I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Instant hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
G
Purchased property, all electric heating has combination cylinder doing hot water for 1 bathroom only , updating bathroom to have a shower, bath a basin and kitchen sink that needs hot water with no gas main or boiler , what’s the cheapest system to install to heat this property’s water...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock