From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Installing Shower tray questions in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

CorgiDirect - Discounted Corgi Related Documentation and Plumbing Supplies
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I am in the process of removing bathtub and installing 900mm quadrant shower instead.
It is an upstairs bathroom with good condition floorboards. I could put in a low profile tray and bed it in with sand/cement mix etc, but have decided i would rather use one with a riser kit with easy access for any future issues that may occur - and the fact that i dont mind the look of them anyway.

My queries here are concerning trays with riser kits.

Are there any makes that should be avoided? Or any that are particularly recommended? Are the ones that i can get from places like Wickes/Screwfix /B&Q etc of decent quality or should i be looking at spending more on a better quality item. Typically they work out about £65-£80 plus £30 ish for the riser kit.

Finally, will i just need to screw the legs into the tray and then place directly on the floorboards and level the tray, or do i need to put something (eg plywood) between the legs and floorboards.i wouldn't think so - but just want to be sure.

thanks a lot for taking the time to read this and hopefully responding

Jim

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
TBH I would make my own, somthing like either 3x2 or 4x2 and with a 12-18mm ply top

And either a plastic cloaking strip for the front or make somthing out of wood

Harvest Fields

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Advent Win
I have used riser kits before. They are ok but I agree with the above. Always better to go with a wood support.

Thanks for the replies guys. Interesting to see that most fo the 'pros' on here seem to favour wood supports. What do you think of an idea i have to use a 3 x 2 screwed to each of the corner walls to provide 100% level and solid support for the straight edges of the quadrant shower, and use the legs of a riser kit for the curved bit. This would then give me complete access incase of any later problems and also give me the plastic front fascia for the shower tray?

Also, any recommendations for a decent make of tray, or are they all much of a muchness?

thanks. jim

JCplumb

Esteemed
Plumber
Advent Win
Thanks for the replies guys. Interesting to see that most fo the 'pros' on here seem to favour wood supports. What do you think of an idea i have to use a 3 x 2 screwed to each of the corner walls to provide 100% level and solid support for the straight edges of the quadrant shower, and use the legs of a riser kit for the curved bit. This would then give me complete access incase of any later problems and also give me the plastic front fascia for the shower tray?

Also, any recommendations for a decent make of tray, or are they all much of a muchness?

thanks. jim
I did exactly that a few weeks ago when faced with a riser kit installation. I needed the kit legs to easily fit the curved panel, so used wood along the two straight edges and supported the rest with legs. It left me with really good access for the waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Installing Shower tray questions in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Plumbing Advice - Find Plumbers Jobs
Wetroom Store - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Bulk Workwear - Workwear Sponsor for Plumbers Forums
Corgi Direct - Plumbers Forums Sponsor
Power Shower Booster - Official PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
uHeat Forum Sponsor - PlumbersForums.net
Test4Less PlumbersForums.net Sponsor