Search the forum,

Discuss Installing Outside Tap to Existing Pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pyjamas27

I have some pipework at the back of my house which I'm told is for an Outside tap (see image). However I'm not sure what fitting is required to install a tap, the pipework looks to narrow for tap fittings available.
Any help welcome.
Pipe.jpg

This is a bit of a weird one because this isn't exactly an existing installation, but it's not really a new one either.

Therefore I would treat as a new installation. This means you need (inside the building) an isolating valve on that pipe, a drain off point so it can be drained down properly and a double check (non-return valve) before the outside tap. After that you need to cut down that external pipe (ideally renew that pipe because it should be sleeved through the wall), add an elbow pointing downwards with a short piece of pipe going into a 15mm - 1/2" Female Iron backplate elbow and finally a bib tap into that threaded female connection. Any external pipework must be insulated too. I'll try to find a schematic for you but have just run out of time right now.

Edit to add you could use one of these to take the pipe through the wall instead of using the backplate elbow Outside Tap Kit With Through Wall Back Plate / Flange | Stevenson Plumbing & Electrical Supplies

If any other forum member can find that and post it before I can that would be most welcome.

I would say that is something for the boiler or heating circuits not mains water

Are you 10000% sure it's mains cold water

Thanks guys. No I'm not sure, however there was storage heating in the property and the boiler was upstairs, so in some ways that wouldn't make sense. We had a new boiler installed in the kitchen recently and the plumber said it was for water. More investigation I think.
Thanks

I would say that is something for the boiler or heating circuits not mains water

Are you 10000% sure it's mains cold water

Yeah, that needs to checked "10,000%" as you say. My installation tips only apply if it really is a mains water supply of course. It's a strange way to terminate/cap a pipe installed for future use as a garden tap feed.

What would be the key differences between a draining facility and a water outlet?

What would be the key differences between a draining facility and a water outlet?

One not connected to the mains water and being heating water

Looks like a place to drain you radiators mate. I would get it checked first to make sure that it is from the cold feed. Or you could try and trace it back yourself to where it goes inside the house

quite a few round mancheste rwith drain off for heating like this but tend not to stick out that far, a few of the old plumbers used to do it around south manchester.

OK Thanks all. The interesting thing is the house doesn't have central heating?

" we had a new boiler installed in the kitchen "

?????

" we had a new boiler installed in the kitchen "

?????
Yes! for the hot water and we have installed a couple of radiators downstairs. There are storage heaters elsewhere, the old boiler was in the bathroom, not allowed anymore.

Yes! for the hot water and we have installed a couple of radiators downstairs. There are storage heaters elsewhere, the old boiler was in the bathroom, not allowed anymore.
The couple of radiators you have is central heating.

Please can you trace back the pipe inside the house and see what/where it connects to if possible, or is it all concealed on the other side of the wall? We gotta know where this thing goes!

It does have a drain cock on it and it's hanging out there in an unusual way. For all of our sanity at least let us know when you find out exactly what that pipe is for. If it really is a cold mains feed we can help you. If the pipe is concealed and it is mains cold then you'll need to "unconceal" it to work on it anyway.

It really does look like an overly long drain off point.

Please can you trace back the pipe inside the house and see what/where it connects to if possible, or is it all concealed on the other side of the wall? We gotta know where this thing goes!

It does have a drain cock on it and it's hanging out there in an unusual way. For all of our sanity at least let us know when you find out exactly what that pipe is for. If it really is a cold mains feed we can help you. If the pipe is concealed and it is mains cold then you'll need to "unconceal" it to work on it anyway.

It really does look like an overly long drain off point.

I'll check it out over the weekend and let you know.

Well! Surprise, surprise, it' doesn't go anywhere. no sign of it coming through the wall internally. Maybe it was fitted in preparation, Odd really. Hey ho! Thanks for your help everyone.

Well! Surprise, surprise, it' doesn't go anywhere. no sign of it coming through the wall internally. Maybe it was fitted in preparation, Odd really. Hey ho! Thanks for your help everyone.
It will be connected somewhere. It may be behind the plaster board or kitchen units?

the old boiler was in thebathroom, not allowed anymore.

Not true. You can install in a bathroom, as long as the switched fused spur and controls are elsewhere, cross bonding is present & independent RCD protected circuit.

Sorry to hijack but I had a little panic when i read this, my 3yr old combi is in the bathroom but was fed from a fused spur in the kitchen next to it (bungalow). I rewired the kitchen to be on its own circuit and wanted the boiler on its own circuit too.

I had wondered why the boiler installers hadnt utilised the old redundant immersion circuit and fitted a fused spur. Needless to say that is where i rewired the boiler to.

Following this i had a new consumer fitted complete with RCD protection.

Your post made me panic until i realised that my boiler is in the bathroom but it is fitted in the airing cupboard complete with a door so in effect a separate room. Im assuming your quote relates to mounting switches on the wall in the actual bathroom, not a cupboard within it?

Last edited:
It will be connected somewhere. It may be behind the plaster board or kitchen units?

I have a clear view of all the pipe work, there is no plasterboard behind the kitchen units on the outside wall just breeze block. perhaps it's running between the breeze block and the outer wall?

I have a clear view of all the pipe work, there is no plasterboard behind the kitchen units on the outside wall just breeze block. perhaps it's running between the breeze block and the outer wall?

Have you tried opening the valve to see what comes out of it?

If nothing comes out of it i would give the pipe a light pull, it might have been chopped off inside and plastered over and now its just a bit of dead pipe left in the wall that might pull out.

Last edited:
Nope, Looked everywhere there is no pipe coming in from that outside wall in the kitchen. A thought is it could have been drainage for the Gas water heater that was in the bathroom upstairs above the kitchen?

Have you tried opening the valve to see what comes out of it?

If nothing comes out of it i would give the pipe a light pull, it might have been chopped off inside and plastered over and now its just a bit of dead pipe left in the wall that might pull out.

I'll try that.

Lo and Behold! Water comes out at a reasonable rate. So How can I turn this into a tap fitting?

Run it for 5 mins does the pressure drop ?

After 5 minutes there is still a strong flow of water?

That's good and means it's connected to the mains water you can fit your outside tap onto that as long as you follow the rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Installing Outside Tap to Existing Pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock