Search the forum,

Discuss Installing a standpipe... what are the regs in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm looking for clarification with regs when it comes to installing a series of standpipes in our local community garden.

The plan:

My intention is to T off just after the stopcock, add an additional stopcock and double-check valve and then run MDPE around the perimeter of the garden in a ring. In various locations, I would then T off the ring up a wooden post and into an MDPE tap to create a standpipe. The MDPE taps are lockable and will not be accessible to anyone without the key. Each standpipe will have a sticker stating not for drinking.

The question:

Is this classed as a new supply or a form of distribution similar to a hose extender?

Why does it matter?:

We don't want to be burying MDPE to 750mm. We'd like to put it 10cm below the surface and treat it as a hose. The council are concerned that our installation may not be to regs and that Thames water could fine us?

Last edited:
How are you going to protect it from damage and frost ?

Damage - it's buried against the boundary so very little chance of accidentally being hit. If it is then we can just turn it off and repair it as you would irrigation.
Forst - In the winter we turn the water off and drain.

Reply to Installing a standpipe... what are the regs in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock