Search the forum,

Discuss Installing a Shower Pan Liner in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I am planning to refurbish a bathroom in a "modern" house - ie 30 years old. Part of the work is to install a new shower pan and cubicle together with wall boards (inside the shower only). The bathroom is upstairs and sits on a chipboard floor. Although there is no evidence of leakage under the existing shower tray, a neighbour who lives in a very similar house had a different experience. His shower leaked slowly without him realizing until the downstairs ceiling became stained. When he investigated, significant rot and water damage was discovered not only to the floor but also to joists - and it cost a lot of money to fix!

Wishing to avoid such a situation, I should like to install some sort of shower pan liner under the new shower tray. The theory being that even if a small drip or leak occurred, the chipboard floor would be more likely to be protected.

I know shower pan liners are available, but it seems they are intended for use under tiles. Is it practicable or advisable to install one under a shower pan as an additional safety precaution?

Comments appreciated.

I would say that the problem the neighbour had was down to who did the job and just make sure that you have good household insurance rather than worry about something that may or may not happen.

Reply to Installing a Shower Pan Liner in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello. This is my first ever post asking for help. I had a bathroom renovation done early this year which I did myself. I wanted to have a low level shower tray sitting flush to the ground and was not able to get access to the main vented stack as it's boxed in from the inside of the house and...
Replies
Views
morning everyone. Could someone please give me a ball park figure to have a bath removed and a walkin shower installed, wooden floor with joists, its a very small bathroom but can get a 750mm tray in, price to include tanking and full length polymer coated screen and tiling please. Job in York...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am looking to install a Mira flight shower tray 760 by 760. I would have like to have removed the existing floorboards and installed battens and 18mm ply level with the joists. However, there is a stud wall running parallel to the joists sitting on top of the floorboards preventing me from...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I'll soon be installing a SONAS 1500 X 800 resin shower tray in a bathroom that I am renovating. It does not come with any sealant or tape. The shower tray will be against an external concrete wall which I will insulate and put some Hardie Backer Board on. My question is, does the...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I bought this 1500mm X 800mm X 30mm grey slate shower tray. https://www.sonasbathrooms.com/en/slate-1500-x-800-shower-tray-black-with-free-shower-waste.html It will be installed on a raised bed of 2.5 inch concrete blocks, and I might put a sheet of 18mm Marine Plywood on top of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock