Search the forum,

Discuss Installing a Pellet Burner with Gas Boiler as Backup in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm an end user with limited knowledge of plumbing and just trying to get an understanding of options available to me. We currently have a Valiant Combi Boiler Sealed Unvented Heating system. It was installed 3 years ago and works perfectly well for both CH & HW. Recently we built an extension which is largely glass on the ground floor and this resulted in little space for rads in the main living area downstairs, for this reason and also wanting to reduce our carbon emissions, we have now fitted a Pellet Stove which is capable of heating the downstairs space and also can output hot water to the Solar Ready Thermal Store which we have also installed. The installation isn't complete and so we are now considering how we can retain the use of the gas boiler as a backup system for the pellet burner and also for hot water in the summer. At this stage the Pellet Burner hasn't been commissioned / used. We know that we can operate it on hot water output only but we're not sure how much of an ambient temperature output this will create and whether this will be practical in the summer. Solar Heating is a possibility but it's some way ahead for us for a number of reasons. In any event we are wanting to keep the gas boiler operation for the time being. We're also introducing 2 zone valves off the thermal store which will be controlled by Nest Learning Thermostats and these will control the rads upstairs and also in downstairs bedrooms. The Thermal Store is a Joule 2.0 Solar ready, it has a sophisticated external fresh water mixing module. I'm told that it should be possible to have another manual zone valve to switch between Gas Boiler and Pellet Burner Hot water and if switched to the Gas Boiler input then the gas boiler will only heat the water passing through the fresh water module rather than heating up the whole 300l capacity in the Thermal Store. Are there any other recommended ways of doing this ? Can we get smart with the zone valve between Gas Boiler and Pellet Burner HW input ? I'm just wanting to learn enough to make the right choices that's all - I'm not going to install this myself. Thank you.

Last edited:

Reply to Installing a Pellet Burner with Gas Boiler as Backup in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

How a thermal store boiler works! I’ve got an old thermal store boiler and I’m trying to work out how it works. From what I understand the boiler keeps hot water at a steady temperature in the boiler whilst cold water enters into a coil which is held inside the hot water and this heats the cold...
Replies
Views
Background 24 apartments are equipped with thermal stores of (100 to 150 litres) with immersion heater capability. Individual demand of each apartment for domestic hot water varies greatly in timing and volume. Thus the oil boiler is required to work for long periods which is uneconomical...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Greenstar gas boiler circa 2017. There has been a noise coming from the boiler which resembles running water, I have checked the system pressure at 1.5bar and the relief valve but the noise persists unless a hot water tap in the house is opened then it stops for a period of...
Replies
Views
Hi, whenever my Gloworm 18r is on even if I leave it on non-stop for 6 hours the flame symbol for the burner never switches off and the radiator icon never stops flashing implying the rads are calling for more heat, even though they're all red hot and have been for hours, is this a fault or just...
Replies
Views
I have a thermal store heated by a boiler with its own thermostat. I also have a stove with a back boiler. The stove heats water in a separate tank. There is a thermostat on this second tank that pushes hot water over to the store tank when it's hot. It's a closed loop and goes through a heat...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock