Search the forum,

Discuss Installed Unvented cylinder will cause water pressure high? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Dear all,

I recently got a gas engineer installed a new boiler and an unvented cylinder & expansion vessel in my house, replaced the old boiler, vented cylinder and water tanks in loft.

Just after a month of installation, last week, the house lost hot water, it was because the cylinder leaked water heavily, we found it leaked to downstairs utility room via underground hot water pipes which could see cracks or fractures and leaked water.

Today, the water burst out from bathroom sink tap which was broken/separated from the sink, flooded all room. We can see the tap was broken into two parts,

So we suspect it is water pressure made the underground hot water pipe cracking and sink tap broken into two parts?

I heard the installation of unvented cylinder & expansion vessel will increase the water pressure on the pipes, do you think what happened to my house is the cause of the installation of unvented cylinder & expansion vessel?

Notes: the house is 40 years old, the pipes underground are old. The house previous owner was an over 90 year old single lady who sat to use shower, the house could not stand up to use shower as the water pressure was very low.

Since we moved in, we got unvented cylinder & expansion vessel installed to have good shower pressure, so is this the reason that water pressure increased and damaged the water pipe and sink tap (sink tap might be quality issue, but shouldn't be broken by water pressure?)

If it is water pressure cause the pipe broken and water leak, what should we do? Change the pipes??

Please help!

Many thanks!

Attachments

• underground leak1.jpeg
    underground leak1.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 54
  • underground leak2.jpeg
    underground leak2.jpeg
    459.8 KB · Views: 54
  • tap broken1.jpeg
    tap broken1.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 48
  • tap broken2.jpeg
    tap broken2.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 62
Yes it not helped but the pipe would of gone eventually

As for the tap I would put it down to a cheap tap / bad manufacturing

Yes it not helped but the pipe would of gone eventually

As for the tap I would put it down to a cheap tap / bad manufacturing
Hi, thank you for your prompt reply!
Did you mean unvented cylinder & expansion vessel installed is the reason made the water pressure increased and therefore crack the pipe?
I kind of agree the tap broken may be down to cheap/bad manufacturing, btw, the tap cost me £65 which is not cheap one although not expensive at all.

The unvented cylinder will have increased hot water pressure but you cant blame the new install for poor existing pipes and fittings
So the unvented cylinder & expansion vessel does increase the hot water pressure, which is the cause the pipe crack and leaking water. Thank you!
If in this case, to avoid more water leak problem, what do I need to do? To replace the pipes?---Is this the only way?
Thanks!

So the unvented cylinder & expansion vessel does increase the hot water pressure, which is the cause the pipe crack and leaking water. Thank you!
If in this case, to avoid more water leak problem, what do I need to do? To replace the pipes?---Is this the only way?
Thanks!
Yes but copper pipes shouldn't be in direct contact with concrete so it was going to happen eventually.
Best to get the sections repiped

It would be interesting to know how high the pressure became and what the arrangements for expansion and over-pressure situations are.

Taps and pipes are usually tested for maximum 10 bar pressure so it's quite odd that they should fail even if they were old as the pressure might have been kept quite reasonably well below this. I would like reassurance that the correct safety arrangements for limiting the maximum pressure are in place...

It would be interesting to know how high the pressure became and what the arrangements for expansion and over-pressure situations are.

Taps and pipes are usually tested for maximum 10 bar pressure so it's quite odd that they should fail even if they were old as the pressure might have been kept quite reasonably well below this. I would like reassurance that the correct safety arrangements for limiting the maximum pressure are in place...
Hi how to know the pressure now?---this needs the installer to test?
the arrangements for expansion and over-pressure situation---this needs the installer to tell?

The tap actually brand new...

reassurance that the correct safety arrangements for limiting the maximum pressure are in place...====this again needs my installer of boiler to tell?
Otherwise, how to find out if there's any safety arrangements for limiting the maximum pressure?

Thanks!

Believe it or not it's quite common to have issues with existing pipework on upgraded old systems none of us know what condition the pipework is in and how worn it is ? These problems need to be addressed when they occur and unfortunately sometimes it can be a total re pipe or at least a replacement of faulty sections, your installer should of at least made you aware of the possible problems I always put it in writing to cover eventualities should they happen . Kop

Hi how to know the pressure now?---this needs the installer to test?
the arrangements for expansion and over-pressure situation---this needs the installer to tell?

The tap actually brand new...

reassurance that the correct safety arrangements for limiting the maximum pressure are in place...====this again needs my installer of boiler to tell?
Otherwise, how to find out if there's any safety arrangements for limiting the maximum pressure?

Thanks!
I wouldn't bother actually measuring the pressure but if you can post some pictures of the new cylinder and how it is plumbed in, that will give us some idea. Realistically, it's probably fine and it's just one of those things.

I wouldn't bother actually measuring the pressure but if you can post some pictures of the new cylinder and how it is plumbed in, that will give us some idea. Realistically, it's probably fine and it's just one of those things.
Please see the photos as requested.
Thank you!

Attachments

• Cylinder.jpeg
    Cylinder.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 41
  • expension vessel.jpeg
    expension vessel.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 40
  • motorised valves & pump.jpeg
    motorised valves & pump.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 39
  • pump & pipe .jpeg
    pump & pipe .jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 35
  • pump & pipe.jpeg
    pump & pipe.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 38
Believe it or not it's quite common to have issues with existing pipework on upgraded old systems none of us know what condition the pipework is in and how worn it is ? These problems need to be addressed when they occur and unfortunately sometimes it can be a total re pipe or at least a replacement of faulty sections, your installer should of at least made you aware of the possible problems I always put it in writing to cover eventualities should they happen . Kop
Sadly, my installer did not tell me this, and told me unvented cylinder wouldn't give more pressure.....until the leaks happened twice and then I did research and found it will increase pressure indeed!

Reply to Installed Unvented cylinder will cause water pressure high? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock