From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Install drain beside garden shed - connect to surface water drainage in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steve_f

Hi, I have a prolem with standing water in my garden, and this garden often enters my shed. There can be 6-8 inches of water after a few days heavy rain, and it can take a week to 10 days to sink into the ground.

I am going to be getting a landscaper to do some work in the garden, and at the same time, I want to get a plumber install a drain outside the shed, approx 50 feet from the surface water drain for my house.
The landscaper would be putting some paving in, and the paving would tilt towards the drain.

Can this be done? I want it to be completely legal and above board.
Do I need permission from Thames Water?

Many thanks for reading.
Steve

OP
W

Whl4852

I shouldn't think you would need permission from Thames valley water, nor would I mention it to them. As for the regs on new driveways you could google it, they change all the time, what with permeable paving etc. hope this helps. Welcome to the forum!

OP
L

lame plumber

dig in some big soakaways and run some field drains into them, ie permiable pipe covered in gravel. you arent allowed to put surface water into main drains

A

AWheating

Plumber
Gas Engineer
he said surface water drain, so should be fine. unless the volume is to high.

get the landscape company to do it for you.

S

stevetheplumber

Plumber
Gas Engineer
i know on drive ways you can no longer run them onto the pavement/road they have to have a soak away fitted which is bad news in london as the soakaways dont work in clay soils not sure if its the same for paved areas at the rear youll get a definative answer on pavingexpert - Paving, Drainage and Hard Landscaping Advice theres an excellent forum attached called the brew cabin

OP
J

jrmurray

I agree with lame plumber, a big sockaway would probs ve your best option and it'll be the cheapest as well.

OP
O

old_skool55

You can put surface water in foul sewer systems...but not the other way round. Re: lame plumber's reply. Hence backinlet gulley's from sinks etc being open, they take in storm water all day, but you could'nt pipe a toilet soil pipe into a storm drain.

Dig down 1.5 mtrs the same size as your slab in size, fill it with 10mm ballast, buy a surface gulley and cover. (straight spigot) mark centre of slab and draw outline of gulley grid on slab.
Angle grind square out, cement slab in place, drop in gulley (slightly lower than slab) about 10mm, this allows for water to be swept into recess. jobs a goodun.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

chris watkins

Esteemed
Plumber
You can put surface water in foul sewer systems...but not the other way round. Re: lame plumber's reply. Hence backinlet gulley's from sinks etc being open, they take in storm water all day, but you could'nt pipe a toilet soil pipe into a storm drain.

Dig down 1.5 mtrs the same size as your slab in size, fill it with 10mm ballast, buy a surface gulley and cover. (straight spigot) mark centre of slab and draw outline of gulley grid on slab.
Angle grind square out, cement slab in place, drop in gulley (slightly lower than slab) about 10mm, this allows for water to be swept into recess. jobs a goodun.
Sorry but NO you can't run new surface water drains into foul sewers !!! & this has been the case for a very long time old skool.
Sounds like the area around the shed or possible the whole area may have a problem, it could just be compacted but it would be worth carrying out a percolation test before you go digging holes 1.5M deep ?
[DLMURL]http://www.fdean.gov.uk/media/Assets/Planning-BC/documents/approved%20documents/Percolation_test_method_to_calculate_area_of_drainage_field_for_Septic_tanks.pdf[/DLMURL]

OP
S

steve_f

Thanks, I don't want a soakaway however, my garden is clay for a long way down, with high water table.
So if I dig a hole I hit water after going about a foot down.

I did dig a test soakaway and filled it with water, it doesn't drain away for a very long time, 3 or 4 days for 200 litres of water to disappear.

I want a proper drain at the bottom of the garden, regardless of cost.

OP
L

lame plumber

point being though you cant run surface water to a main drain, the drainage/ sewage system is overloaded as it is and cant take any more surface water. best option would be v large soakaway and you could also consider water storage system for use in house for wcs/hoses etc, win win option

OP
S

steve_f

point being though you cant run surface water to a main drain, the drainage/ sewage system is overloaded as it is and cant take any more surface water. best option would be v large soakaway and you could also consider water storage system for use in house for wcs/hoses etc, win win option
Is that definitely true? Do you have a source for the regulation that forbids it?
Only asking because not everyone is in agreement on this topic about this.

I am talking about the rainwater drain that my house gutters and rainpipes lead to, not a foul water drain.
The drain is on my provate property, it's not on a public road.
I know plenty of people who have a tap in their garden and below it, a rainwater drain. I presumed this would be connected to the rainwater drainage network.

Many people already use a pump to direct surface water and excess flooding into the very same drain, is that not the same as what I want to do, but I want to do it properly and permanently? I am trying to fix a problem the proper way.

Would really appreciate confirmation one way or another.
Thanks

C

chris watkins

Esteemed
Plumber
Is that definitely true? Do you have a source for the regulation that forbids it?
Only asking because not everyone is in agreement on this topic about this.

I am talking about the rainwater drain that my house gutters and rainpipes lead to, not a foul water drain.
The drain is on my provate property, it's not on a public road.
I know plenty of people who have a tap in their garden and below it, a rainwater drain. I presumed this would be connected to the rainwater drainage network.

Many people already use a pump to direct surface water and excess flooding into the very same drain, is that not the same as what I want to do, but I want to do it properly and permanently? I am trying to fix a problem the proper way.

Would really appreciate confirmation one way or another.
Thanks
Part H of the Building Regulations H3 (the Law)
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_H_2010.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Install drain beside garden shed - connect to surface water drainage in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Most Viewed Threads