Search the forum,

Discuss Initial fill of UFH circuits in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

HI, we have replaced 3 manifolds (1 upstairs 2 downstairs) with new Warmup units. The installation manual from Warmup states that to fill the system you have to fill each circuit in turn using the fill / drain points on each manifold. However, my plumber said that he always uses the filling loop to quickly fill the whole system, which I don't understand in that won't air remain in the system and affect efficiency and performance if you don't ensure that each circuit and then each manifold is purged of air individually? Thanks.

Your correct in your interpretation each heating loop needs to be filled individually run a hose to a drain, mains waters is put in travels through the heating loop and pushed out the air once its free running slowly close off the drain point and move to the next one šŸ˜‰šŸ‘. Kop

If you're just changing manifolds you shouldn't need to unless your UFH is higher than the manifold is
thank you for replying, two manifolds on the ground floor and one upstairs so the UFH loops are not higher. Wouldnā€™t all the circuits have had to be drained to fit the new replacement manifolds, or could the manifolds just be isolated from the primary supply and disconnected leaving the actual circuits still full of water? Many thanks for any clarification.

thank you for replying, two manifolds on the ground floor and one upstairs so the UFH loops are not higher. Wouldnā€™t all the circuits have had to be drained to fit the new replacement manifolds, or could the manifolds just be isolated from the primary supply and disconnected leaving the actual circuits still full of water? Many thanks for any clarification.
I certainly fit mine with isolation valves so wouldn't have had to drain down. Even if you did have to drain everything the water in the UFH pipes can't go uphill and out the manifold so therefore will still be full and no air would have been introduced. The instructions are referring to new installations

If your upgrading I would flush out the loops ufh can produce bacterial growth over time if this is a issue it usually shows in the discoloration of the flow meters, as I stated earlier flush them through ten add a bioside treatment. Kop

Last edited:
If your upgrading I would flush out the loops ufh can produce bacterial growth over time if this is a issue it usually shows in the discoloration of the flow meters, as I stated earlier flush them through ten add a bioside treatment. Kop
Thank you very much, although I have been told that a turbidity check was done on the system water and was found to be right in the middle so the water quality in the system was good enough to avoid a total drain down. Didn't see the test outcome myself so of course reliant on what I am being told.

Reply to Initial fill of UFH circuits in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi guys, I have a set up with rads upstairs and UFH downstairs. I have installed the manifold for the UFH along with 2x Honeywell 2port values, one near the manifold and the other on the radiator side. I will be using Nest 3rd gen thermostats to control both the upstairs radiators and...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone I wasnā€™t sure whether to post this in here or UFH but hopefully Iā€™m posting this in the correct group. Iā€™m in the throes of a full renovation and am currently designing the central heating system, Iā€™m installing radiators (11 or 12 in total) and am going to run each rad from its...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have recently had a UFH circuit added to my existing CH/HW system and had a question on performance when UFH and CH are operating at the same time. My boiler is an Vailliant EcoTec Plus 630 and for a number of years this was running with a CH and HW loop only. Each loop had a 2 port...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a Heatmiser UFH installation, 7-8 years old now. This week we noticed that a few of our heating zones were not warming up, even though the thermostat was showing the flame symbol. They were working fine last winter. I knew from when I looked at the installation in the past that...
Replies
Views
So I have a combi boiler with a hive hooked up to it and from what I can tell its a Y plan(I think) with 1 zone. So I crank up the heat on the hive it makes a call for heat and boom the boiler fires up. Downstairs I want to install an UFH wet system which doesn't look like too big a deal...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock