Search the forum,

Discuss increase size of hot water direct vented cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fireboy

Hi All,
Right.....Here's the problem

Moved into a house a few months ago and have a hot water storage problem in the top bathroom. The main house is fed by a conventional heating sysyem and works fine. The top bathroom was added later so is fed differently. It uses a direct heated hot water cylinder thats gravity fed from three 60 ltr water tanks in the loft above.
The problem is the cylinder is1050 x 400 mm and feeds a sink and a pumped shower. The hot water runs out after about 10 minutes!!
I need to increase the storage capacity but the height of the cylinder is a problem as theres not much room above. There is room to put another 2 cylinders the same size next to it though. Is this an option???? How would they be connected????? I was wondering if theyre all direct cylinders they could all share a feed from the tanks in the loft and go into one hot water feed pipe above????

You can get a copper cylinder made to your required size
Don't know what area your in
But I'm from northern Ireland and here I use a company called copper industries there great make anything for you

Hi there,
Im in london. Am guessing joining multiple cylinders is a no go then? i'll look into custom made cylinders. If i could get something the same height but alot wider would fit and give me the desired capacity.

If no one near you try copper industries they on net will be more than helpfull to you and I guess they will ship

Personally I agree with Blackcat, It would surely be easier to install another cyl of the same size next to it as height is an issue . You could buy an extra large custom made cyl , but that could work out to be pricey .

It's upto you id say a bigger single cylinder
As you will have to take a new cold feed down split coils a new vent new high limit stat
At the end of the day it's upto you that is my opinion only

It's upto you id say a bigger single cylinder
As you will have to take a new cold feed down split coils a new vent new high limit stat
At the end of the day it's upto you that is my opinion only

Sorry disregard my post didn't read properly thought it was indirect

Wouldnt it be easier to get rid of the pumped shower and replace with a mains fed shower such as a Mira Sport 10.8 kw shower straight off the mains then that should solve the problem.

Wouldnt it be easier to get rid of the pumped shower and replace with a mains fed shower such as a Mira Sport 10.8 kw shower straight off the mains then that should solve the problem.
And leave the cylinder to feed the sink?, not ideal but a possibility, also £250 for a new 10mm power run from the board which could wreck the decoration, possible board upgrade/sub board + cost of new shower £500+? etc.
Then again is the power supply up there man enough to run another 3kw imersion in another cylinder?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a purpose made direct cylinder with immersion heaters at low and high level? I would have expected a cylinder that size to provide more hot water than you're getting. If it only has an immersion heater in the top then only half the cylinder will be hot. Just a thought.

ailbon superduty cylinder, standard size cylinder but has very fast heating recovery times if that is any help

Hi people,
Thanks for all the excellent advice. I've decided to put in a cylinder 1200x600 to give me triple the amount of stored hot water. Will the cold water storage cistern in the loft being still the same size as before ( now smaller than the DHW cylinder) cause me any problems?? Am presuming if it coped before it will cope now.....

I'm gonna sure up the floor and strengthen the joists. Read it was 1kg for every litre apparently.
That seems to be the only issue now I know the capacity of the cold water cistern isn't an issue.

if the tanks coped before they will be ok now i assume it was hot wqater you ran out of not no water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to increase size of hot water direct vented cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock