Search the forum,

Discuss Incoming mains black plastic pipe to 15mm copper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Jon

Hi.

Have a mid 1980’s house with the mains water coming in from underground via a black plastic pipe, of which the external diameter is 27mm. There does not appear to be any markings on it, but maybe some faint green.
This goes into a 15mm copper pipe via a stop tap with compression connections. There is a slight leak and due to a new room layout I need to take apart and reconnect the black plastic pipe straight to 15mm copper pipe without the need for the tap.

Is there a straight connector out there for connecting this 27mm black plastic pipe straight to 15mm copper pipe please?

Thanks, Jon

7E8B004A-0306-4A71-82B2-3FDD35B802D4.jpeg

E52BC3B6-98DE-4DA3-A6CD-94210AC29E94.jpeg

Thank you, will look into philmac. Is this polly stuff brittle? Should I be being very careful with it? and how’s best to cut the end off for the best joint?

Shouldn't be brittle but be gentle with it anyway
Don't forget an insert

An "insert" goes inside the black pipe to strengthen the side wall to prevent it being crushed or collapsing if stretched.

You don't need an insert with black poly

Ah yes I’m with you now! I guess until I take it apart I won’t know the diameter of the insert required? Although 22mm is most likely do you think?

Looking at Philmac now, but sooooo many fitting types I can’t work it out. The poly pipe is 27mm external diameter onto a 15mm copper pipe. Any idea which connector??

Plastic pipe cutters

TBH hacksaw will work needs to be filed afterwards and debured

Hey Jon,

You know you've got to turn the water off at your boundary stopcock don't you.... otherwise you'll get a bit wet...:oops::eek:.

Probably stating the obvious - no offence intended :D

Hi Jim, already located and tested the boundary stopcock in anticipation for this job. But you were right to check with me as I’m A ‘newbie’ on here! and I can imagine it would be like being hit by a fire fighters hose!!!

Hi Jim, already located and tested the boundary stopcock in anticipation for this job. But you were right to check with me as I’m A ‘newbie’ on here! and I can imagine it would be like being hit by a fire fighters hose!!!

Good for you Jon! I've got wet a few times as I reckon most plumbers have.... it's OK if it's summer time :):D

Hi.

Have a mid 1980’s house with the mains water coming in from underground via a black plastic pipe, of which the external diameter is 27mm. There does not appear to be any markings on it, but maybe some faint green.
This goes into a 15mm copper pipe via a stop tap with compression connections. There is a slight leak and due to a new room layout I need to take apart and reconnect the black plastic pipe straight to 15mm copper pipe without the need for the tap.

Is there a straight connector out there for connecting this 27mm black plastic pipe straight to 15mm copper pipe please?

Thanks, Jon

View attachment 34813

View attachment 34814
If that is your incoming mains you will still need a stop tap somewhere or are you putting it further up in the copper?

Just with a philmac type fitting?
They have always had insets when I have changed compression stop taps

The black poly is thick normally has an internal bore of around 15mm so an insert isn't needed

I have ordered a selection of different sized inserts in plastic and metal just in case when I take it apart it looks like it requires one.

I have ordered a selection of different sized inserts in plastic and metal just in case when I take it apart it looks like it requires one.

There might be one in the compression stop tap joint

I always use an insert in any plastic/poly pipe, especially if your going to tighten a compression fitting on to it. Black mdpe used to come in high and low density which determined the size of the insert.

Reply to Incoming mains black plastic pipe to 15mm copper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock