Search the forum,

Discuss Inaccessible leak - liquid sealant? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DominicJH

Hi

We have a slight leak from the piping under our shower tray, and the ceiling of the room below gets wet if you shower for a long time. (I know the leak is in the pipework, not the tiles, grouting, sealant aroud the shower tray etc, as I have tried running water direct into the outlet hole and the ceiling below still gets wet.)

I really don't want to have to cut a hole in the ceiling to get to the pipes from below, or rip out the shower tray to get to them from above. Is there a product like Radseal for car radiators that I can simply pour down the shower outlet and that will collect in any leaky joints in the pipes and seal them? Does anything like that exist?

Thanks

Really need to cut a hole and repair properly. You could have mould growing in the damp and it can cause health issues. I know it's a chew, but worth the hassle.

I've had this before and was able to identify that the leak was where the waste seals onto the shower tray and if so can be done from above but tricky unless you know where to seal.

Can you lift boards in the bathroom or is it tiled?

There's no magic remedy I'm affraid, the leak sealer you're thinking of is for central heating. X200.

Last edited:
You can't get any product that would seal this type of leak.
Take a section of ceiling down and get in and fix it.
The ceiling is easily repaired.

the ceiling will need repairing before long anyway so might as well open it up and fix the leak.

As everyone else has said, the only way to fix this leak is to get access to it, then repair the ceiling.

Thanks guys. Looks like a pretty unanimous view. Bathroom floor is tiled, so will have to go in from ceiling below.

Thanks again.

Could be just an ill fitting shower tray waste, may just need tightening up from the top or taking apart and sealing with silicone.

It's usually easy to go in from below. Doesn't tale long to patch and skim a hole in a ceiling if you know how to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Inaccessible leak - liquid sealant? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock