Search the forum,

Discuss Important NVQ3 Plumbing & Gas Info & Help Required... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok just to briefly say I passed my NVQ2 about 1 1/2 ago, been working with a gas safe engineer for about a year and now am looking to do my NVQ3

But does anybody know what is going on with these courses???? The government seems to be screwing with them big time. I was all setup to be doing this apprenticeship government scheme which was gonna allow me to do NVQ3 & ACS over 18 months, 1 day a week, for just £1200. But just this month they pulled the course for anyone who is over 24, and bumped it up to £4000.

I was then shopping around for other options and my friend who went to Edenbridge Plumbing Academy in Kent told me to try them. So I was speaking to the lady and she said the goverment was changing the NVQ3 next year and to be honest its prob not worth going for.

She was trying to sell me this ACS course. Now I know the normal ACS course that u all know but this 1 is a 7 week Mon-Fri or 7 month 1 week a month course, which is £3000 including the ACS exams and final assessment. Has anyone heard of this course or done it? Or has anyone been to the Plumbing Academy in kent? is it any good?

Is the NVQ3 really loosing its importance. I tried to find information on the ACS course to compare with the NVQ but couldnt find anything. I only just about found the NVQ3 modules which are below. Does anyone know the ACS 7 week course modules? Please help as its gettin close to the deadline to sign up and im at my wits end. ur help will be greatfully appreciated.

Plumbing Course NVQ 3 Modules :

Systems planning
Complex cold water systems
Complex domestic hot water systems
Complex sanitation systems
Central heating systems (Boilers and controls)
Improvement of business products and services in the plumbing industry
Plumbing studies core underpinning knowledge (question paper)
Plumbing studies practical tasks
Employment rights and responsibilities
Maintain System
Establish and develop professional relationships with customers and co-ordinators

I'm honestly asking and not trying to be rude "does having an NVQ2 make you a plumber"? If no you are a CATEGORY 3 and need to do a course equivalent to 6 months 50/50 split between theory in centre and portfolio building, if you are a plumber yo are CATEGORY 2 and can do a 6-8 week theory course BUT you must also work towards a portfolio of evidence of doing gas work on site with a gas firm, MAKE SURE you fully understand what the training provider is offering you, from my interpretation of your statement there's no mention of portfolio, some word things cleverly and have the portfolio bit buried till you sign, pay and realise, and if you haven't read the small print you are stuffed, so Confirm exactly what you are paying for
Another way of duping you is to GUARANTEE TO TRY TO HELP YOU GET A PLACEMENT
so are you guaranteed a placement or guaranteed they will try to help you, NOT the same thing by a long long way
Read ALL their paperwork and ask for written confirmation of the answers and watch for them being clever with the answers

Sorry i prob didnt clarify my situation abit better. Iv got my NVQ2 done and finished and have been working with a gas safe engineer for over a year now and am continuing to do so. From what I understand, and I will be chattin abit more to the guy today, that there is a portfolio involved in the course. But yes u are right and I am going to get as much info as poss from them. I was just hoping sum people on here might have sum info on the course and or college too. If anyone does it would be a great help. Thank u

Sorry i prob didnt clarify my situation abit better. Iv got my NVQ2 done and finished and have been working with a gas safe engineer for over a year now and am continuing to do so. From what I understand, and I will be chattin abit more to the guy today, that there is a portfolio involved in the course. But yes u are right and I am going to get as much info as poss from them. I was just hoping sum people on here might have sum info on the course and or college too. If anyone does it would be a great help. Thank u

There is a portfolio side and a hell of alot of theory.. Well was. I've just completed mine last month and awaiting my certs etc.

5x installs needed.. 2 times your assessor will come out were you'll be have to complete fuel/gaspipe then commission the boiler without any help of your GSRE.
5x services, again assessor to come view you on 2.
5x system repairs.. ie. replacing pumps etc.

And quite abit of practical work inside the training center =].

My course was free.. as i was 21 at the time i got on it.. although my employer had to pay 5quid weekly to the college.

Hey ash thanks for ur reply, Did u take ur course at the Plumbing Academy in Kent? What was the name of ur course, was it NVQ3 or a diff gas course? How long did it take u?

I spoke to the guy today at Plumbing Academy and he explained the course they were offereing was a minimum 7 week Logic, Professional Gas Engineer course. It will be 4 weeks full time or spread over time in class course, 2 - however long it takes portfolio and then 1 week ACS.

Does any1 know if Logic are good people to do the course with, are they as good as City an Gulids? DO u think its worth doin this instead of the long drawn out NVq3?

Mine was in grimsby bud.
NVQ Level 3 spread over 2years with it being a free course. was released from work one day a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Important NVQ3 Plumbing & Gas Info & Help Required... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock