Search the forum,

Discuss Impartial Advice Required on OLCI in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CharleyVince

Hi there

I am in the process of enrolling on a £5k intensive plumbing course with OLCI in London - '6129-2 / 6089 NVQ Level 2' course.

I've spoken with AbleSkills and The Plumbing Academy also about the similar '6129-2 / 6089 NVQ Level 2' course they offer and opted for OLCI based on travel etc, plus the chat and tour of the training centre helped in making me come to this decision.

I have a friend of the family who completed this course with AbleSkills and was impressed and happy with how it went and what he achieved with them.

Has anyone completed this or any other training with OLCI - and are you pleased with the training and services?

Many thanks

Cheers Sanke - can you ellaborate?

Bad service, poor training etc... ? Which centre did you go to?

Thanks again

Hi
I did my training with OLCI at the Bristol centre and it was excellent all round. The only problems I encountered was with the clerical side up in London.

Cheers Helpsy

My connudrum is that I am hearing massively mixed feedback on OLCI and am reticent to spend 5k on what might be a nightmare.

So far - feedback I read implies that they are not that great, but then people like you had a success with them.

What course did you do?

I have done the C&G 6129 level 2, bpec Unvented hot water systems. I've also got the nvq2 6089 and part p electrical course. I paid £5621 back in about July 2008.

Cheers Helpsy - did you hit the ground running and get work straight away?

Did OCLI assist with work after the course?

I would have liked to have gained experience with an old boy, but that seems to be rare to be able to get a position with someone. I started on my own and the work is up and down, but starting out you can't expect to have enough work straight out to keep you going. Hopefully when this cold weather lets up there will be work from burst pipes!!!!!

I am looking to do the same and exit the job i am doing at the moment.

I started my distant learning course a while ago but moved house, got married and a beautiful baby came into my life so have just re started the studies again.I must admit i find it hard studying at home so want to get myself onto a quick course and then set it out alone.

let me know what you decide to do

Oh, forgot to say that somone i know at work did the course and now works on the side doing small jobs at a profit

Will do Ubend

Have you looked at any of the other oufits... Plumbing Academy, Able Skills?

A friend of the family did an Electrician course at Able Skills in Kent and was very impressed. I suppose I want to hear a success story from someone who went to OLCI in London...

But as yet this has not happened - it's a lot of money and I have to have faith in what I'll get.

I do understand where you are coming from.I think the trick is to not burn one bridge until the other is built, at least in my case especially with a young toddler in the household.

As far as i am aware and from the broadspan of information on this great website the quick method from home(as i am doing)will land you with the City and Guilds diploma but not the vital knowledge learnt outside the classroom.I enquired about courses at the plumbing academy but they are asking too much money in my view.I still have to go and see the OLCI premises in London so i can get an idea and a feel before spending any more money, i will take the wife with me as she is like a walking oracle with these kind of things and is very hard to hoodwink.

My friend who completed his course told me OLCI in London were very good, i have yet to do a practical with them but will post as soon as i do.

Let me know how you get on at OLCI - I visited before Christmas and was reasonably impressed - but then I looked here and looked at all the comments about the company, and it is sort of painting my judgement... which is not good.

I plan to visit the Plumbing Academy and Able Skills.

It should not be this difficult - I just want a reliable and effective trainer - and feell happy with the result!

I've done everything with them. The OLCI instructors are excellent - I can't fault the training. However if you have a problem then their admin side is a nightmare. You can never speak to anyone, no one responds to calls or letters. It's almost like it's two companies - a well run training company allied to a shady, high pressure sales organisation. I wouldn't disuade you but my advice is to refuse to sign anything until you have it in writing. It seems to me that their prices are negotiable too. Better still ask to discuss it with someone at John Street - and then ask for it in writing.

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

Did you do the same course? 6129-2 / 6089 NVQ2
Did you get work okay?

I'm not scared of hard work and am ready for a new challenge but all I'm hearing at the moment is people saying that they are finding work hard to come by, or experience..... and I still have a mortgage to pay!

Hi Charley, welcome to the forum. I did the intensive course with OLCI and glad I went for it. Was really happy with the training I got, didn’t really havea clue before I started but it was great from that point of view. Nice guys teaching the course and never had any problems with the service I got. Haven’t got any experience of the other two you mentioned.

Here is a neutral point:

Please be aware that tradesmen spend years learning their art and building their customer base, reputation and earnings. How is this possible in a few weeks or months.

If it was realistic, surely we would have all done it.

We have a lad who had been to one of these fast track courses, we gave him grips and bahco adjustable and he was unable to take scrap brass fittings off the copper pipe.

He got angry and blamed us.... saying it wasnt like he'd have to do that on 'real' jobs.

I hope you dont waste your five grand. Good luck.

Thanks for this gents - more research is required I think

Much appreciated

Here is a neutral point:

Please be aware that tradesmen spend years learning their art and building their customer base, reputation and earnings. How is this possible in a few weeks or months.

If it was realistic, surely we would have all done it.

We have a lad who had been to one of these fast track courses, we gave him grips and bahco adjustable and he was unable to take scrap brass fittings off the copper pipe.

He got angry and blamed us.... saying it wasnt like he'd have to do that on 'real' jobs.

I hope you dont waste your five grand. Good luck.
Wise words Renewable!, I feel sorry for people who pay 5k for these courses are fed bullsh$t about 50k earnings etc etc when the reality couldnt be further from the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Impartial Advice Required on OLCI in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock