Search the forum,

Discuss Impartial advice on new heating system in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I am renovating an old stone cottage in North Wales and need to install a complete new heating and plumbing system. I'm looking for impartial advice on the total system design and components.

I would like to have a system that is cheap and efficient to operate. However, there are some aspects I need/ would like to incorporate.
Oil boiler (no mains gas)
Wood burning Aga stove/ central heating in kitchen
2 other wood stoves in living areas (I have land with plenty of trees!)
UFH to the ground floor, radiators upstairs
Solar PV to power the immersion heater (solar thermal is problematic routing the thick pipes)

I have read that a thermal store tank is the way to allow the oil boiler and stove to work together?

In addition to this, i must also put in a new kitchen, new bathroom, ensuite etc etc...

I have spoken to a few local firms and have received conflicting advice. One tells me it should all work with a thermal tank but the tank must be above the aga, another tells me i can put the thermal tank anywhere, another tells me forget the thermal tank and aga etc etc...

Who do i talk to get impartial advice?

Thank you!

Thermal storage is one way of achieving your desires and probably the most suitable. There are other ways of linking solid fuel and boiler systems ie.Dunsley neutralizer, H2 panels and NRG link to name a few.
With regards to store/cylinder placement and your gravity cooker the store/cylinder should ideally be situated on the above floor. The driving force behind the thermosiphon relies on a few things, one of which is the elevation. If the cooker and storage is on the same floor its not going to circulate, or would be very little flow, resulting in no heat transfer and the risk of overheating the cooker water.
To incorporate everything you want is possible but it must be designed properly and isn't going to be cheap.

As SJB has said above covers pretty much all of it.

All comes down to space and sitting of the various components.

Thermal stores work well.
Neutralisers work well.
H2 panels work well.

It all comes down to preference of a particular engineer and the on site requirements.

Definitely won't be cheap though. Amazing how many people who think a couple of tees and a bit of pipe will do it. When I get asked now I give a ball park figure off the top of my head. Sorts the less serious customers out.

To incorporate everything you want is possible but it must be designed properly and isn't going to be cheap.

And who would i need to talk to, an independent engineer?
[automerge]1593015050[/automerge]
One problem is that putting the thermal store on the 1st floor in the vicinity above the aga is not really possible

And who would i need to talk to, an independent engineer?
[automerge]1593015050[/automerge]
One problem is that putting the thermal store on the 1st floor in the vicinity above the aga is not really possible

I advise you to find a reputable engineer/firm familiar with your requirements. These systems are not as straightforward as a simple boiler and cylinder. They require careful design and execution.
Please don't just settle for the cheapest quote, there's a strong chance the employed person/persons don't actually know what they're doing

I advise you to find a reputable engineer/firm familiar with your requirements. These systems are not as straightforward as a simple boiler and cylinder. They require careful design and execution.
Please don't just settle for the cheapest quote, there's a strong chance the employed person/persons don't actually know what they're doing
where is the best place to find someone? Randomly picking names out the yellow pages or google hasnt been too helpful so far

Go up to your local independent plumbers merchants and ask the guys behind the counter. They tend to know who’s good at what and won’t recommend a duffer as it’ll be hassle for them.

Reply to Impartial advice on new heating system in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock