Search the forum,

Discuss Immersion Heater Thermostat Problem in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Afternoon Ladies & Gents, I am having a repeat problem with my Grandma's Immersion Heater Thermostat. The thermostat is a 18" Tesla Dual safety variety from Screwfix. Grandma had a new cylinder and header tank fitted with immersion heater, no other source of hot water. I have replaced the thermostat on 4 occasions in as many months. I did notice that the thermostat terminal port had brown discolouration so checked for loose connections, one wire was loose so put it down to that. Since then it has stopped failed again. Can anyone suggest why this keeps occurring?

I'm not a certified electrician but loose connections can cause arking which can cause a larger amount of current to be pulled generating excess heat. Its most likely the cause and could of been far worse.

Afternoon Ladies & Gents, I am having a repeat problem with my Grandma's Immersion Heater Thermostat. The thermostat is a 18" Tesla Dual safety variety from Screwfix. Grandma had a new cylinder and header tank fitted with immersion heater, no other source of hot water. I have replaced the thermostat on 4 occasions in as many months. I did notice that the thermostat terminal port had brown discolouration so checked for loose connections, one wire was loose so put it down to that. Since then it has stopped failed again. Can anyone suggest why this keeps occurring?
If its a top mounted dual immersion (sink/bath) then the thermostat should only be ~ 11 ins long, also if a dual immersion someone might (although difficult) managed to wire the two elements in parallel which will very quickly burn out the stat, these should last for years even with fairly heavy use.
If it is a dual immersion ( or even if not) a photo of the immersion top might reveal something.

My recommendation would NOT to buy another Screwfix unit. 4 failures in 4 months isn’t good. Did Screwfix replace any of them FOC?

locate a local supplier and buy from them. Don’t go cheap and preferably buy a named product

1. If your grandmother lives in a hard water area, then it is possible that the cylinder has accumulated enough limescale in the bottom for the scale to reach the immersion heater. This is likely to cause it to overheat.
2. Don't forget that modern thermostats have an additional overheat thermostat inside them. If this is triggered (normally around 80 to 90 degrees) they do not reset themselves, but have to be reset by pushing in a small button, sometimes almost hidden and requiring a paper clip or similar.
3. If the overheat thermostat trips and is not noticed, it will give the same effect as a broken thermostat.

If known if these stats had failed completely or could have been reset then that will tell a lot, its unlikely that the op who replaced these himself would not have done this as unlikely that they would all have been replaced FOC.
It may need element removal, in which case a dual element immersion can save a lot of money especially for someone living alone.

Reply to Immersion Heater Thermostat Problem in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

E
Good evening everyone :), I’ve recently moved into a new flat that is completely electric (It’s got a dual immersion heater) and just had a smart meter installed. The dual immersion heater and has two separate switches - one is labelled top. I’ve had them both on since moving in but just seen...
Replies
Views
Dear All, My hot water cylinder (approx 45 years old) is fitted with a bottom mounted immersion heater controlled via a timer and an Essentials 7" TS220 thermostat bought from Screwfix. The cylinder itself is well lagged with two jackets and the timer kicks in every evening for 3 hours...
Replies
Views
Hi, This morning, I found that my immersion heater had stopped working. The short wire that runs from the thermostat to the live terminal of the heater had fried (or at least its insulation did) and disconnected from the terminal pin. Although I've scavenged a replacement wire from an old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm replacing a 14" copper immersion heater installed into a Fortic hot water cylinder. The heater failed after just three years. Hoping to get more life out of the next one, I've ordered an Incoloy, but am wondering whether to go for the titanium instead. It's only an extra couple of...
Replies
Views
Morning Ladies and Gents, I'm after a bit of guidance regarding the Nest thermostat 3rd Generation please... My heating system is a Glow worm 18hx system boiler. I have a hot water cylinder pump, only radiators all round, mid position valve, Y plan wiring centre. So my issue... my old...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock