Search the forum,

Discuss Immersion heater switches? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sarahlucy

Hi,

I have recently moved and the flat is heated by storage heaters and the water tank is an immersion heater. I'm not sure I understand exactly how it works because there are 2 switches both at the bottom of the heater and they both read exactly the same thing. We don't have any instructions apart from an installation booklet that is obviously for people who know what they're doing. And the picture in the booklet doesn't even match the water tank we have. I'd like to know why there are 2 switches and when/why we need them on please! We use an Economy 7 tariff for our electricity. I have attached a picture of the 2 switches at the bottom of the tank. The tank is called "Tornado 2" and the manufacturer is "Telford Copper Cylinders"

Thank you very much for any help!

Attachments

• DSCF5394.jpg
    DSCF5394.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF5390.jpg
    DSCF5390.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 31
Your picture show the 2 immersion heaters, the switches are somewhere else.
There would normally be 1 heater on Economy 7 which would come on overnight, if the switch is left on.
The second heater would be available for use in the daytime and switched on by you when / if needed.
There may be a control box nearby with a timer and switches?

If you follow those white flex cables back you will get to the switches that control the immersions which are pictured, as snowhead states above the cables will go to switch's or a controller with a time clock.
The lower of the immersions is the Economy 7 (overnight) one which should be left switched on or come on under the control of the time clock. The other one further up is the boost & is only used if you run out of water during the day & need a top-up.
Hope that helps.

There aren't any switches in the cupboard that the tank is in..
Would there be switches anywhere else? Like in the box with the water and electricity meters in it? This is located outside our front door in the communal hall way of the building. Do the switches I've taken pictures of just control the water temp then?

the red bit in the middle is to adjust the temp setting from what i can see.

have your neighbours got the same set up? id knock on next door and request a demo while making friends.

Thank you everyone..
The reason I couldn't find anything is because the tanks installed so that its impossible to get to the back of the tank - where the white cables lead to. The tank is located in a cupboard barely bigger than itself so its absolutely impossible to locate the switches or timers! I will just keep the immersion heater "switches" I took pictures of as they were when we moved in. And I'll try and make contact with our elusive landlord to ask if its set up correctly to take advantage of the Economy 7 tariff.

Thank you everyone very much for your help!

Check your consumer unit (box with all the electrical trip switches), I've seen timers built in to these before. Took me bloody ages to figure out how to turn the immersions on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Immersion heater switches? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have read of hot water cylinders being heated with a dual element immersion heater. The main principle being that a shorter element heats the top of the tank and then, subsequently, a longer element comes into play. With a bath/sink switch the longer element may be disabled. The topic of such...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve gauge was going up when the water tank was switched on. My local plumber came and re-pressured the expansion vessel as it was flat, afterwards we tested...
Replies
Views
After some advice, i have recently had solar panels fitted and have an Eddi which uses the energy we generate to heat the cylinder using the immersion heater. Just wondering if there are any devices that can circulate the hot water in the cylinder so the immersion heater heats all the water...
Replies
Views
hi all, i need help to fix the leak from a pipe connected to the water pump via flexi pipe and it is feed from the immersion heater. I have emptied the water tank in the loft and also closed the main stopcock. still the leak is on - hoping it will eventually stop. I have not idea how the...
Replies
Views
Hi, the immersion tank is running all the time and we can't switch it off. I've uploaded pictures of the devices attached to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock