Search the forum,

Discuss Immersion heater overheating in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Zippymark

Gas Engineer
Hello, i have a job that had an immersion heater overheating, i didn't know how old it was so just replaced it as they don't seem to last these days. Within a week it had overheated, so i reset it. Now a month later it has gone again, and maybe once more.

It's a 14" immersion, incoloy/titanium this time, on a direct combination cylinder, so the only source of heat. There is not a shower pump or anything. Going by the amount of plastic immersion heater caps littering the loft, this happens pretty often.

Can anyone think of any other reasons this keeps on happening? The only other thing i can think to check is the state of the ballvalve, i guess if that's getting stuck or running slowly it might be emptying and overheating because of that?

Any help appreciated, thankyou.

1. Is it in a hard water area? If so, then then cylinder may have so much limescale in it that it is surrounding the element and causing it to overheat.
2. If so, then:
2a. Remove immersion and try and scoop out limescale through opening. OR
2b. Replace cylinder.

1. Is it in a hard water area? If so, then then cylinder may have so much limescale in it that it is surrounding the element and causing it to overheat.
2. If so, then:
2a. Remove immersion and try and scoop out limescale through opening. OR
2b. Replace cylinder.

London, so yes. I've visitied yesterday and turned to almost its lowest setting so we'll see if that helps but in future i'll definitely shine a torch in to see how much limescale there is đź‘Ť

Also check/take a picture of immersion head, some (normally, older type) had a separate hi limit stat attached to the immersion boss, if fitted, change this and the control stat to a combined control/hi limit stat which may cure the problem.

Reply to Immersion heater overheating in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock