Search the forum,

Discuss Immersion heater overheating in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Zippymark

Gas Engineer
Hello, i have a job that had an immersion heater overheating, i didn't know how old it was so just replaced it as they don't seem to last these days. Within a week it had overheated, so i reset it. Now a month later it has gone again, and maybe once more.

It's a 14" immersion, incoloy/titanium this time, on a direct combination cylinder, so the only source of heat. There is not a shower pump or anything. Going by the amount of plastic immersion heater caps littering the loft, this happens pretty often.

Can anyone think of any other reasons this keeps on happening? The only other thing i can think to check is the state of the ballvalve, i guess if that's getting stuck or running slowly it might be emptying and overheating because of that?

Any help appreciated, thankyou.

1. Is it in a hard water area? If so, then then cylinder may have so much limescale in it that it is surrounding the element and causing it to overheat.
2. If so, then:
2a. Remove immersion and try and scoop out limescale through opening. OR
2b. Replace cylinder.

1. Is it in a hard water area? If so, then then cylinder may have so much limescale in it that it is surrounding the element and causing it to overheat.
2. If so, then:
2a. Remove immersion and try and scoop out limescale through opening. OR
2b. Replace cylinder.

London, so yes. I've visitied yesterday and turned to almost its lowest setting so we'll see if that helps but in future i'll definitely shine a torch in to see how much limescale there is đź‘Ť

Also check/take a picture of immersion head, some (normally, older type) had a separate hi limit stat attached to the immersion boss, if fitted, change this and the control stat to a combined control/hi limit stat which may cure the problem.

Reply to Immersion heater overheating in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've recently replaced an immersion heater for a direct cylinder, for 2.75-3kW. The new one seemed to be working a week before I got a callback. I checked the resistance of the immersion heater, and it read 19ohms, and the voltage on the live and neutral read 230V, but there was no humming or...
Replies
Views
I recently posted to request information about supply of a "dual Immersion heater". Two members kindly replied with helpful advice. I tried to respond with thanks but the system persistently refused to accept this; quoting: "Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content...
Replies
Views
W
Hi all. So I have an OSO Super SXD 180 immersion heater and it is pouring a huge amount of water out of the cold water pressure relief valve regardless of whether the tank is heating or not. We're talking litres a minute currently. I have replaced the valve which changed nothing. I have...
Replies
Views
I want to replace my old immersion heater, it currently has a dual immersion with bath/sink switch, we only ever need the whole tank heated so can i replace with a single immersion? or if i am doing it a a DIYer is like for like easier.
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a tank Bradford White 50 gallon gas hot water heater for a 1700 sq ft home with 2 1/2 baths, HOWEVER, I am only one person living there. It was installed in March of 2015 so it is 8 years old. I believe life expectancy for a typical hot water heater is around 10 - 12 years so I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock