Search the forum,

Discuss Immersion Heated Switch in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

We have a water tank and with all the Energy talk at the moment, we’ve been told to check that the immersion isn’t on all the time! We have constant hot water so my assumption is that it has been left on.
This may sound like a stupid question but is the the correct switch to keep turning it on and off? It’s the only switch near the tank but doesn’t say it’s for the immersion.
I’m sorry but I’ve never had a water tank or immersion so I’m clueless!
Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• 58BE1AC4-7989-4FBC-86BC-964170B814AF.jpeg
    58BE1AC4-7989-4FBC-86BC-964170B814AF.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 10
Depends on your daily hot water use but it doesn't need to be on all the time, it maybe enough to just turn it on for just an hour or two in the morning and it'll last the day.

Ideally get an immersion timer fitted and a cylinder jacket.

Also I would check what electricity tariff you are on ? Eg. If you are on economy 7 or similar only run it on lower tariff electricity. You will notice the difference in your bills !

There's a pump and zone valve low down suggesting you've also got a gas (or electric or oil) boiler.
The water would normally be heated by that and the immersion only if the boiler fails.
There may be a timeswitch somewhere for the immersion.

The simplest thing to do to start with is turn off the immersion at that switch and see if you still have hot water after you've used it for a day.
If the hot water stays hot then the boiler is heating it.

Reply to Immersion Heated Switch in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, the immersion tank is running all the time and we can't switch it off. I've uploaded pictures of the devices attached to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
E
Good evening everyone :), I’ve recently moved into a new flat that is completely electric (It’s got a dual immersion heater) and just had a smart meter installed. The dual immersion heater and has two separate switches - one is labelled top. I’ve had them both on since moving in but just seen...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve gauge was going up when the water tank was switched on. My local plumber came and re-pressured the expansion vessel as it was flat, afterwards we tested...
Replies
Views
I have just had a new boiler and 210 ltr unvented tank fitted in the loft to replace a very old Baxi back boiler. I have now fitted a Solic 200 diverter to utilise all the spare capacity from the 3,84 Kw Pv system on the roof. This has only just become an option as the old existing tank did not...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock