Search the forum,

Discuss I'm working on the forum over the next few weeks in the Make a suggestion about the forum in general area at PlumbersForums.net

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Working on the forum over the next couple of weeks. Noticed a few people have mentioned problems in this forum category in general so I'll collect those. But let us all use this thread to suggest fixes or improvements and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks
Dan

First problem to fix, Google Advertisements showing over forum posts, for some people, using certain devices, some of the time.

I think I've just fixed that, but I'll need to see over the coming weeks.

It may still be happening for some people as it's loading from a browser cache. So if you can either clear it, or just wait until the standard browser settings amount of time clears it.

Thanks Dan. One thing I noticed,but probably can’t be improved is site traffic/members.

When new members join, their posts are active, but their user profile is black? Are they waiting approval?

The 'directory' of plumbers needs some way of making sure that the 'reviews' are genuine. For example, one company listed has received about 50 enthusiastic reviews from 'customers' in two batches of ca 25 within 48 hours of being listed and has received no further reviews in the following ten months.

In my opinion, the 'directory' should be got rid of. There is clearly no demand for it and it's a potential Trading Standards liability for the forum.

Thanks Dan. One thing I noticed,but probably can’t be improved is site traffic/members.

When new members join, their posts are active, but their user profile is black? Are they waiting approval?

I think that’s like a guest account/ not registered

Censorship for the word/place C.umbria (***bria)?

Attachments

• 3BC2847B-817C-4B05-A58A-E24B0E6026D8.jpeg
    3BC2847B-817C-4B05-A58A-E24B0E6026D8.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 5
There seems to be far too many different sections, I think some could be grouped together, for example plumbing advice could be grouped together with DIY plumbing forum seeing as both sections have non plumbers asking for advice.
I’ve noticed many non plumbers coming onto this forum asking for advice don’t seem to know which section to post in (see recent post on plumbing tools 😬)
Plumbers arms could be grouped with plumbers cafe (nobody seems to bother with the cafe anymore)

If your reading the thread through an Iphone it seems to jump up and down the thread meaning you have to scroll back to where you was reading and try to finish before it jumps up or down again 🤷🏻‍♂️
I think that’s because of the adverts?

First problem to fix, Google Advertisements showing over forum posts, for some people, using certain devices, some of the time.

It may still be happening for some people as it's loading from a browser cache. So if you can either clear it, or just wait until the standard browser settings amount of time clears it.
Adds when using IPad or Android phone are awful. … Intried to reply to this post 4 times on Android phone each time adds were onto of entry field - unusable.

Attached screen shows how bad it is on iPad.

It’s not this intrusive on any other form I use, Adds totally cover text fields, makes use very difficult.

D3464082-BC9B-4178-9F10-0A377058E563.png

Hi, I can still see the Google ads and this is the first time on the site using this phone (Android Chrome). It could be that the server cache needs to be cleared?

FYI The ad covers half of the screen.

There seems to be far too many different sections, I think some could be grouped ..
Two ideas:
  • When new people join: could their Intro emails, explain he difference between the groups? And email the same again - some days/weeks later to reinforce that.
  • when new users make their first New Thread - could there be a popup before it saves to check: "Are you sure this is the right section to post this in - as a reminder - the main sections are A..B..C"

Agree. I’m very conscious about balancing revenue with user experience on AVForums.
Here I think you have too many ads. They are intrusive and interfere with the experience of using the forum.
I'd pay to use the forum, but since I'm tending to give more advice than I ask for, I don't expect to pay a lot.

When I was a member of 2CVGB, the forum was included in annual membership (currently £34 a year and includes the cost of printing and posting a monthly colour magazine), so £24 (£1.99 a month) for plumbersforums seems extremely dear.

As far as the forum itself goes, there no longer seems to be a non-gas boiler or even a heating category that isn't for RGIs, so questions like 'What temperature should I run my boiler at?' or 'Will a programmable thermostat really save energy?' can only really go in the general plumbing section, which seems odd when we consider the number of niche categories that DO exist. Perhaps this could be rationalised somewhat?

I'd pay to use the forum, but since I'm tending to give more advice than I ask for, I don't expect to pay a lot.

When I was a member of 2CVGB, the forum was included in annual membership (currently £34 a year and includes the cost of printing and posting a monthly colour magazine), so £24 (£1.99 a month) for plumbersforums seems extremely dear.

As far as the forum itself goes, there no longer seems to be a non-gas boiler or even a heating category that isn't for RGIs, so questions like 'What temperature should I run my boiler at?' or 'Will a programmable thermostat really save energy?' can only really go in the general plumbing section, which seems odd when we consider the number of niche categories that DO exist. Perhaps this could be rationalised somewhat?

Also ch forum below this one

?

Also ch forum below this one

?
Well, yes, but I thought that was for Gas-Safe installers seeing as it's in the Gas Engineers' Advice Section. Is it open to all?

Gee, I wish I could get into the exclusive Gas Section of this Forum.

70% of my work is gas related - from domestic to commercial boilers, fault finding, repairs & maintenance.
Also includes works with many other gas appliances.

Well, yes, but I thought that was for Gas-Safe installers seeing as it's in the Gas Engineers' Advice Section. Is it open to all?

Open to all that one is there is a section for reg only

Gee, I wish I could get into the exclusive Gas Section of this Forum.

70% of my work is gas related - from domestic to commercial boilers, fault finding, repairs & maintenance.
Also includes works with many other gas appliances.
Is there a reason why you can’t?

It's still happening ... bad enough on a PC .... but makes forum vary difficult to use on iPad.
I use plenty of forums, really bad here.

You can only ask
I have asked before.

Got knocked back due to not having required qualifications.
I don't have an UK qualifications.

You could always let me in and if I'm not up to scratch - boot me out.

I could be helpful and maybe learn something

PS: I use Firefox when on this forum - don't get any adds, except for a black 'X' on the screen, which disappears when you click it. You really only know it's there when the screen freezes.

unsure when you did the adsense changes, but
1686073039891.png

this doesnt look good, how much do you actgually make on adsense? why not sell geo ads? your'd probably make a lot more money, and its guarenteed income.
look how much better it looks without ads, and that's just a simple ad blocker??...

1686073237226.png

I'd rather not use adblocker to make a site usable, and i guess its to get people to sign up to the 1.99 thing,

but I'd rather see an add there for a few of my local plumbers, then cex / web hosting -.-

just as thought :)

ref: xenforo.com/community/resources/ads-manager-2-by-siropu.6153/ We've been using it some time now, works well. (had to remove the h t t p s as it thinks I'm a bot...? why not just manually approve the first 3 posts of people? if links etc?)

It's unfortunate that this forum with very useful content is ran by people who seem to care about money more than helping people. Ads are needed - absolutely, but you're forum is beyond a joke. I thought it might be an accident, but the complaint have made it clear to you there's an issue. just look at this (Android 13 in chrome). It took me i kid you not 10 minute to navigate here though all the ads.
Screenshot_20230923-121651_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230923-121443_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230923-121131_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230923-121048_Chrome.jpg

It's unfortunate that this forum with very useful content is ran by people who seem to care about money more than helping people. Ads are needed - absolutely, but you're forum is beyond a joke. I thought it might be an accident, but the complaint have made it clear to you there's an issue. just look at this (Android 13 in chrome). It took me i kid you not 10 minute to navigate here though all the ads. View attachment 85020View attachment 85021View attachment 85022View attachment 85023
It's unfortunate isn't it, better off selling actual ad space with geo.

Hey Everyone

Thanks for your patience. Dan is working on completely changing the ads over the next few days by adding new code and placements. This does mean that you may see ads in different spots whilst he finalises them.

If you hang in there for the next week or two - stuff should settle down all ready for 2024!

Thanks people and have a great Christmas!

Hey Everyone

Thanks for your patience. Dan is working on completely changing the ads over the next few days by adding new code and placements. This does mean that you may see ads in different spots whilst he finalises them.

If you hang in there for the next week or two - stuff should settle down all ready for 2024!

Thanks people and have a great Christmas!
Colour me suprised! I can navigate the forum! Thank you Dan!

Reply to I'm working on the forum over the next few weeks in the Make a suggestion about the forum in general area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock