Search the forum,

Discuss If i remove a radiator in the living room will there be a cold spot? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

S

SJnotsure

Hi,
We currently have 3 old radiators in our living room, the room feels cold in winter and radiators take ages to get warm, system has been power flushed and new pump fitted, so want to replace the radiators. The room is 5.7 x 4.9m x 2.5m but heat vents upstairs to a landing with no radiator. BTU calc's from different website sites suggest anything from 7500 - 10,000 ish. Someone suggested adding an extra 0.5kw to cover the heat loss to the landing.

The room has radiators on two of the walls and one in the bay window, I've been told to keep the bay window one as a double radiator to account for heat loss and obviously I'll be looking at ways to retain heat. I can achieve the desired BTU with two radiators but I am worried that the room will end up with a cold spot if i do not replace the third, especially as its nearer the stairs, should i be concerned or should i replace the third radiator but turn the temps down on all of them with TRV's?

Interested to hear thoughts from the experts.

No point in doing anything with the radiators if the flow to the existing radiators is insufficient. That will determine how much heat is delivered to the room. Measure the temperature of the incoming flow when system is running max and radiator lockshield valves wide open. That is the temperature you would need to use to calculate heat outputs. Standard assumes 70deg but yours might be less than 50deg. This would at least double size of radiators needed, looking at manufacturer specifications for the difference between room temp and mean radiator temp. So consider a re-pipe in at 22mm pipe. You might still need the biggest radiators that would fit.

Reply to If i remove a radiator in the living room will there be a cold spot? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those, there is one radiator in the living room which does not heat up at all. I have tried balancing myself and also had a professional come in to balance it...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking for some advice on how to remove this radiator value to check if the pin is stuck. I have two similar values in the house where those radiators aren’t heating up at all. The pipe leading into the value is cold but the rest of the system is working fine. Thanks for any help/advice!
Replies
Views
Hi, I just moved into a new house and it has a Glow Worm Compact 24c combi boiler and a ESI ESRTP4RF+ programmable room thermostat and I am wondering if it's worth turning on the optimum start and stop features? There is also something called TPI (chronoproportional control) but I'm not sure how...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Jaga radiators (with heat-exchangers) have their own small fans, that "will modulate down when the room temperature is met – the room temperature is measured by a sensor at the base of the radiator", says Jaga. How does this coordinate with a standard room-thermostat, which of course shuts off...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock