Search the forum,

Discuss Idiot needs help in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

recently temporarily (hopefully) moved into a hmo. Cheap and cheerful and will do me until work is back to normal post pandemic.

My bathroom has water (inc in rent) and electric shower, bathroom has cold water only. Electric is metered I pay for.

it’s not the warmest building as it’s big, old and Victorian. Not having hot water to wash my hands in or wash my face in is really getting me a bit down. I’m one of those idiots who likes bruising their teeth with warm water too. In the summer it’ll be better but right now being freezing generally and putting my hands in freezing water is just torture.

as a renter I’m a bit limited as to what changes I can make. Is there any such thing as a plug in heater / mini tank I could use for a bit of hot water in the sink? Ideally attached to the hot tap that can easily be put back when I move out. Or alternatively is there anything I could attach to the shower to create a waist height “tap” - I.e switchable flexible hose attachment on a splitter? If that even exists!

Thank you

Bathroom should have hot water it’s regs and it’s law

Not having hot water to wash my hands in or wash my face in is really getting me a bit down. I’m one of those idiots who likes bruising their teeth with warm water too.
It's not a good idea to use stored hot water from a bathroom tap to brush your teeth. I've got a photo somewhere of sludge in a storage tank that includes all the pieces of a dead squirrel.

Whatever you do, don't bring a portable electrical heater into the bathroom, it would be extremely dangerous.

What I'd probably do is buy an insulated coffee pot like caterers use at meetings, they usually hold about 3 litres, and fill it half and half with cold water and boiling water from a kettle. This should give a portable supply of water at ca 50°C that's okay to use for teeth-cleaning. Be careful not to scald yourself.

Last edited:
If there's an elec shower surely fill a basin off that for hand-wash/ tooth brushing, am I missing something?
I'm not recommending it but as you're in a pinch, if you get another shower hose and a "15mm compression straight coupling":

- throw away the nuts and copper rings and use the centre bit to join the two shower hoses together you can then extend the shower outlet to fill the basin via the shower. Don't lose the rubber rings which sit inside the shower hose joints.

It doesn't comply with regs but it seems an easy fix for someone in dire straits. Good luck

(And stop brushing your teeth with hot water, who does that?)

Reply to Idiot needs help in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've got an issue with the shower tray not being totally flat. As you can see from the photos, it is about 7mm out at one side. It's leaning towards the waste end though. The shower tray is pushed underneath the tiles. My mate did the tiling and I now realise that we should have put the shower...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some help on this shower drain installation. I’m about to install a corner shower kit in my basement bathroom. But I just found out the shower drain is actually extruded from the bottom of the shower base and I have concrete floor with the drain pipe rough in. I have the drain pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, can someone get to the bottom of this before I call a plumber, en suite shower started leaking from the mixer bar so took the shower off and capped it off for the time being, fast forward 3 months the same thing in the main bathroom, that one is leaking from the mixer bar, (no issues...
Replies
Views
Hi all, thank you so much in advance for any help. I’m always really grateful for the advice and support from experts when I have been on here a few years ago. There’s a dripping coming from my bathroom and I can hear it coming from behind the toilet and I’m worried it’s causing a buildup which...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock