Search the forum,

Discuss Idiot needs help in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

recently temporarily (hopefully) moved into a hmo. Cheap and cheerful and will do me until work is back to normal post pandemic.

My bathroom has water (inc in rent) and electric shower, bathroom has cold water only. Electric is metered I pay for.

it’s not the warmest building as it’s big, old and Victorian. Not having hot water to wash my hands in or wash my face in is really getting me a bit down. I’m one of those idiots who likes bruising their teeth with warm water too. In the summer it’ll be better but right now being freezing generally and putting my hands in freezing water is just torture.

as a renter I’m a bit limited as to what changes I can make. Is there any such thing as a plug in heater / mini tank I could use for a bit of hot water in the sink? Ideally attached to the hot tap that can easily be put back when I move out. Or alternatively is there anything I could attach to the shower to create a waist height “tap” - I.e switchable flexible hose attachment on a splitter? If that even exists!

Thank you

Bathroom should have hot water it’s regs and it’s law

Not having hot water to wash my hands in or wash my face in is really getting me a bit down. I’m one of those idiots who likes bruising their teeth with warm water too.
It's not a good idea to use stored hot water from a bathroom tap to brush your teeth. I've got a photo somewhere of sludge in a storage tank that includes all the pieces of a dead squirrel.

Whatever you do, don't bring a portable electrical heater into the bathroom, it would be extremely dangerous.

What I'd probably do is buy an insulated coffee pot like caterers use at meetings, they usually hold about 3 litres, and fill it half and half with cold water and boiling water from a kettle. This should give a portable supply of water at ca 50°C that's okay to use for teeth-cleaning. Be careful not to scald yourself.

Last edited:
If there's an elec shower surely fill a basin off that for hand-wash/ tooth brushing, am I missing something?
I'm not recommending it but as you're in a pinch, if you get another shower hose and a "15mm compression straight coupling":

- throw away the nuts and copper rings and use the centre bit to join the two shower hoses together you can then extend the shower outlet to fill the basin via the shower. Don't lose the rubber rings which sit inside the shower hose joints.

It doesn't comply with regs but it seems an easy fix for someone in dire straits. Good luck

(And stop brushing your teeth with hot water, who does that?)

Reply to Idiot needs help in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock