Search the forum,

Discuss Identifying shower waster. Anyone? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Could anybody please provide some idea as to the manufacturers of this shower waste would be, please? It is wider than usual: OD of the washer is 110mm (ID is 85mm).

Thanks for any help.

IMG_6025.JPG IMG_6028.JPG

Hi guys

I have been away for a few weeks but thanks for the replies. Following Ric2013’s advice I managed to obtain an equivalent item from Lunn’s. I am inclined to believe that it was sourced from Russia or somewhere in Eastern Europe. It is not exactly the same as it is shallower and has this rather dubious membrane type ‘trap’ item that closes when no water is running through it. The membrane looks like it was originally siliconed into the place but appears to have become detached. I guess I will need to re-silicone this back into place.

Does anyone think that this membrane thingy is likely to be problematic long-term? I am wondering whether it might be better to discard altogether and incorporate a running trap into the waste pipework?

Thanks for any advice and sorry to Sam re the loss of the sandwich.

IMG_6104.JPG IMG_6107.JPG IMG_6106.JPG IMG_6109.JPG IMG_6110.JPG

What makes you think it's Russian? A running trap is good no-moving parts and reliable, but you may get a smell from any residue between the shower and the running trap.

A waterless trap should work well as long as it lasts, which could be 5 years or even 10 (the HepVo valves, which work on a similar principle are claimed to have a life expectancy similar to that of conventional water traps), but, as you have identified, anything with moving parts, especially bending ones, will have the risk of wearing out. I'd be inclined to fit a running trap only if the membrane proves problematic. FWIW, I've twice had to use a HepVo on a shower installation and not had any call backs on either.

I wouldn't go about repairing that trap unless Lunns agress to it - if it causes a problem, it'd be your responsibility.

Thanks for the reply.

If you search on Virplast W30 you will bring up the Lunn’s references and then other stuff that is, to myself at any rate, is indecipherable.

virplast w30 - Google Search

It is just a hunch, but I wondered if the original installation work might have been carried out by a firm who may have had access non-EC compliant items, namely the shower-tray, and hence the 110mm waste outlet. I did a fairly comprehensive enquiry into various plumbers’ merchants but nobody was able to recall having come across an item to this spec. The only option, as you advised, was to check out Lunn’s.

Lunn’s are quite clear as they add a caveat informing prospective purchasers that this is a bespoke part and is therefore non-returnable. That the item arrived with the membrane more or less detached is a nuisance but if it is to be used as designed it will require silicone to be reapplied. I was just weighing up the options of doing this or fix into place with a running trap.

Yes. It is similar in principle to the HepVo though I have never had need to fit one those. I have heard or a few concerns but interested to hear that you had no probs.

Non-returnable means you cannot change your mind, not that you cannot return it if faulty. Have a chat with them, suggest sticking it back, and if they agree, you have no issues.

The silicone thing IS Wirquin. You can read it moulded into the silicone bit. I've used em many times and never had a problem. This was when they still French so fine :cool:

Ric: Looks like I am completely wrong on this as the membrane and the plastic section which it covers is designed to be removed for cleaning. I got a bit confused by what looked like traces of silicone in the waste (when the piece is removed) which gave the impression that this was a fixture so I thought it had come away from the waste body – my bad. So it is entirely useable, after all.

Dave: Your quite right. I did think originally that it looked like the other Wirquin stuff that is of conventional dimensions. Thanks for the reassurance.

Reply to Identifying shower waster. Anyone? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock