Search the forum,

Discuss Ideas to replace gas wall heater in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all , my elderly parents have just had there gas wall heater in kitchen blanked off due to regs ( to close to open window) and I am looking for ideas what to replace with , something cheap to run would be nice thanks Howy

Does it have to be in the same position as the Baxi wall heater? You're not going to find anything gas powered that can be fitted that close to the window, but a flueless gas fire fitted 500mm or more away from the window might be an option, although not knowing the room it might not be suitable for other reasons.

If there is some flexibility over its location your best bet is to call some local gas engineers, explain the situation and see if they can come round check the room and quote you for some suitable options. If it has to be in the exact same position then electric is only option.

A electric rad would be the easiest option look at Dimplex wall heaters

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200904-220234_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200904-220234_Chrome.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 9
Does it have to be in the same position as the Baxi wall heater? You're not going to find anything gas powered that can be fitted that close to the window, but a flueless gas fire fitted 500mm or more away from the window might be an option, although not knowing the room it might not be suitable for other reasons.

If there is some flexibility over its location your best bet is to call some local gas engineers, explain the situation and see if they can come round check the room and quote you for some suitable options. If it has to be in the exact same position then electric is only option.
just To confirm a flueless still needs to be 500mm from opening window , thanks

Not sure if they all are, the one I looked into for a friend had that as the minimum. There also needs to be permanent ventilation and minimum room volume that the manufacturer will specify as well as other conditions, you would need an engineer that does fires to come out and see what would be allowed & suitable for the room.

Also worth bearing in mind that they are meant as secondary heat sources so depending on size of room & where other rads are situated there could be condensation issues.

Electric is definitely going to be the easiest option.

If you go for electric heating don‘t go cheap.

BUT be very careful as most are LOT 20 compliant which are not easy to set up and use, and can be beyond most elderly people.

there are some on the market with APP control, which I would recommend

What is the distance from the flue to the window of your parents wall heater?
Hi Darren , will find out , is it from where opening begins to top of flue cheers howy
[automerge]1599506289[/automerge]
Blimey this could be the answer looking good so far , will look deeper thankyou

Reply to Ideas to replace gas wall heater in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, My customer needs a new water heater/boiler - preferably electric. (Getting the gas pipe through to the desired location is a bit of a no-go. It's a tiny stone-walled, screed floored terraced cottage, with no easy route for the gas pipe. So we're looking at electric options). Two people...
Replies
Views
Hello, First time posting here, I'm looking for some advice. Apologies in advance if I ask silly questions. I'm English but recently moved to Germany. We are living in the house of my girlfriend's late father. He was something of a dysfunctional alcoholic and the house is full of quirks and...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Some 6 years ago I replaced an old Andrews R2000 series water heater at a local factory with 3 Fastflo water heaters and additional storage (about 1500 litres total). Since then we have had a number of performance issues with the heaters, one has been replaced totally and another has had new...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock