Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Vulcan SX / DLX gravity fed boiler - No hot water in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

HI everyone,

I went to look at a prehistoric gravity fed Ideal Vulcan SX / DLX boiler with reports of no heating or hot water. This is a 4 pipe 28mm pump fed heating and gravity fed water pipes to water cylinder. I found that the heating pump had stopped spinning and found sludge behind the inspection screw and the pump then worked after manually turning it and the heating then worked fine. However, the 28mm flow pipe to the open vented cylinder was stone cold with hot water on. I couldn't find a diverter switch anywhere! ( even on the boiler ). There is a horstmann 425 programmer connected to the boiler so there must be a diverter. The boiler has a drain cock at the front bottom of the boiler so i did a quick water flush from it and then the gravity hot water pipe became very hot so i am unsure whether this had something to do with the quick flush i did at the boiler ( i removed some black sludge ) or.. there is an intermittent diverter switch somewhere on the boiler.. All 4 pipes seem to go straight to the boiler so i figured it must be in there. On this boiler, you can run heating AND hot water, or just hot water. The user the next day reported that there is still no hot water. The boiler from cover back shows the wiring connections to the stat and pump etc but no mention of diverter??

Why must it have a divertor?

Its gravity hot water and pumped heating. First thing to check is water at the coil, even water in the header tank.

Why must it have a divertor?

Its gravity hot water and pumped heating. First thing to check is water at the coil, even water in the header tank.
Thanks for your reply. I was wondering about the diverter because of the CH and HW switching at a thorsmann 425 programmer, but i later found out that when the heating is on, the HW is on too, and the option of HW only so not needing a diverter switch. I know there is water in the flow pipe to the cylinder coil as it got hot after the drain cock flush at the boiler. Water level is ok in the expansion tank. I am going to power flush the system this weekend. I'm thinking blockage or air lock

Last edited:

Reply to Ideal Vulcan SX / DLX gravity fed boiler - No hot water in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock