Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Standard Flush Valve ~ not getting enough water in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Replaced like for like flush valve in Ideal Standard cistern, but do not seem to get more than half filled, giving insufficient water for flushing, even with float (OK) at maximum. As existing valve was already fitted when renting the property have no idea whether it was correct for the cistern. Where can I obtain dimensions or full description of flush valve which should be fitted. Fed up with keep using double flushes and buckets to clear. Drains AOK from adjoining bathroom toilet.

Did you replace the flush valve or the inlet valve?
You seem to flit from one to the other in your description...?

So is the float free can move fully up and down ?

you might need to raise the height of the body (not the float height the whole valve )

The float is free and set at max height. The water sits at 4.5" from top of cistern. If I hold down the float the water flows through the flush valve/overflow assembly into the toilet bowl.

Sounds like you just replaced the flush valve , not the inlet valve. Anyway.

There is normally a mark/line/indent at the back of the cistern , this indicates where the water level should be.
The internal overflow should be set to about an inch above this line.

Does the water level in the cistern drop to within an inch or so of the bottom of the cistern when flushed on full flush? If not the flush mechanism needs adjusting as per instructions that came with it.

Just a note that the Ideal Standard flush valve can have issues if there is not free play between the push button actuator rods on the cistern lid and the mechanism below. The instructions do mention that there must be free play but do not explain why. The most obvious result of this is that valve will then ALWAYS give a half flush.

This can be diagnosed by comparing: the quantity of water remaining in the cistern after a full flush using the buttons in the normal way with that remaining after a full flush obtained by removing the cistern lid and pressing on the parts that would normally be actuated by the rods coming down from the buttons.

Apart from needing a new outlet washer around every 4 years (which is taking the mickey in my opinion), the Ideal Standard flush valve should work well and give a good flush.

Due to legislation and a combination of ergonomics and aesthetics in design, it may be normal for the cistern to seem half empty even when filled correctly. My experience of modern Ideal Standard pans is that they will work very well with low flush volumes (I have a 4litre/2.6litre flush setup in my own home and it reliably performs better than 9litre flush toilets I have lived with in the past, so long as there no limescale allowed to build up in the "U bend").

There may be issues with the installation that will result in difficulties in clearing the contents of the pan that may have nothing to do with the flush valve itself.

Reply to Ideal Standard Flush Valve ~ not getting enough water in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock