Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal miniHE - DHW excessive temp on primary circuit (lights) after plumbing work.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

capitanpugwash

Hi all

Can anyone help?

My boiler: Ideal C24/C28 mini HE. 3 years old. Draining the system down to add the rad, the water was nice and clear though we are in a hard water area.

3/4 days ago a gas safe plumber extended my gas feed to my kitchen for a new range and extended the central heating circuit by one rad. He finished up testing the tightness and system and all seemed well.

However the DHW now comes out hot (as normal) for a short while (10 secs or so) before a ticking noise, then strange almost whimpering noise from the boiler, before the normal operation lights change to indicate:

"DHW operation
Excessive temperature on primary circuit" (from the servicing brochure)

It then cools down to luke warm for a short while before heating up again to boiling hot and then overheating again. The central heating works perfectly well.

I have measured the flow and get:

Cold tap - 12 litres/min
Hot tap - 6 litres/min which is obviously a lot less than normal.

I am guessing that there is some kind of restriction in the DHW inlet filter having worked through the fault finding section. Having said this there are obviously many parts of this that I cannot do properly. :eek:

Does anyone have any other ideas? It is obviously Sat night and I'll be unable to get the plumber back until at least Monday. I am a competent DIY'er but wouldn't really want to touch a gas boiler for obvious reasons. My lodger would like a hot shower- does anyone have any ideas- except for sending her down to the local swimming baths :p

Any ideas/fixes? It seems strange that having had 2-3 years of faultless behaviour from the boiler, that the plumber having cut off the gas and drained the system before recharging it could have coincided with the arrival of this fault.... :confused:

Re: Ideal miniHE - DHW excessive temp on primary circuit (lights) after plumbing work

was the water supply stop tap turned off ? check to see if fully open

Re: Ideal miniHE - DHW excessive temp on primary circuit (lights) after plumbing work

Hi Ecowarm,

Sorry should have included that. It was not turned off and is still giving good pressure. The boiler itself is making a funny noise that is not qutie normal either.

was the gas pipe sizing done correctly is cooker running when boiler running?

Yep. He ran the cooker in 22mm from main. He was keen to do in 22 mm even though he said it would work in 15mm in case we upgraded the range size later. He installed the boiler originally.

sounds to me if your issues are unrelated to the works you have either a faulty dhw ntc,plate heat exchanger,air switch or a diverter valve dumping down

yep agree with gas man - looks like hes done his bit right matey - so would be looking into the boiler now for faults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal miniHE - DHW excessive temp on primary circuit (lights) after plumbing work.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock