Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal instinct boiler and central heating questions in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I have ideal instinct boiler and central heating in a house. I have 3 simple questions regarding the boiler, central heating. Because of the certain circumstances I never need hot water in the property, and I only need to heat the property during the winter months.
Boiler operates in 3 modes; ''off'', ''summer mode'' (in this mode it only heats domestic water) and ''winter mode'' (in this mode it heats domestic water and provides central heating).
The questions are:

1. Is it necessary to have electricity supply to the boiler on all year round? In the manual it says it needs to be on all the time: ''The boiler mains power supply must be left on to enable frost protection''. Can actually anything happen to the boiler if mains power supply is off for a good half a year or even longer (for example during spring, summer, autumn)?

2. Can anything bad happen to the boiler if I never run hot water even if it heats it? Cause in ''winter mode'' (the only mode that I use) it does heat domestic water and provides central heating at a same time even if I don't need hot water.

3. Can anything bad happen to certain radiators (in a long run) if they are turned off all the time? I only need some of the radiators on.

It sounds like you have a combination boiler, which if left in winter mode, it only heats a tap on demand, unless you have the preheat function activated. Leaving it turned off should be ok, but I do know some older boilers pcb’s/fans don’t like it.

If it’s heating the water, as long as there’s somewhere to dissipate the heat, then all is good.

only thing that may happen on rads turned off for long periods is the trv (if fitte) may sieze.

Reply to Ideal instinct boiler and central heating questions in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
R
Hello its my 1st post hope im in the right place We brought a new house a medium-large 3 bedroom semi, we moved in the summer. Now coming to winter we started putting the central heating on. The central heating has a mind of its on it’s really strange iv never experienced this We put the heating...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock