Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Icos 18 Boiler sparked - PCB gone? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All

I'd appreciate advice on what the potential issue could be with this boiler. Its a heat only Ideal Icos 18 fitted to an open vent system

It had been switched off during the summer and had occassionally been used to heat water. Turned it one a few days ago and I could smell some burning near the boiler so switched off at the mains.

Then turned the power switch on a couple of days later and even though all controls were switched off the boiler turned on by itself and continued running. Turned off at the mains again. The actuator valve had been changed last year so I think its unlikely to be the valve but you never know.

Then yesterday turned on again, again starting running even though controls were off. Within a few seconds saw a spark directly underneath the boiler and then it switched off and stopped running. Turned off at the mains again.

Do you think the PCB has gone? Or could it be some sort of a electical issue? Thanks.

Unfortunately yes icos don’t like being turned off and on

Unfortunately yes icos don’t like being turned off and on
I got a Corgi Engineer to replace it. The engineer replaced the PCB and gave the boiler a service. Then I opened up the old PCB unit and it had burnt out out in one corner. My concern is what caused it to burn out in the first place and whether the same will happen to the new one. See attached the photographs.

Attachments

• 20221106_211255.jpg
    20221106_211255.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221106_211307.jpg
    20221106_211307.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221106_211311.jpg
    20221106_211311.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221106_211319.jpg
    20221106_211319.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 14

Reply to Ideal Icos 18 Boiler sparked - PCB gone? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock