Search the forum,

Discuss ideal he15 advice please in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

hi all , was having a few problems with my heating/hot water when water was put on it would heat up but also heat the radiators up so after bit off searching came up with the 3way port valve so i changed for a new one as when i looked at it when the water was on it was making a buzzing noise, so after it was replaced all was great well for a couple of days and it started playing up again but this time could not get heating or water at all the boiler would fire but constantly show flashing light i had my brother here and while trying to see if could find anything he turned down the thermostat on the boiler its self and it fired up straight away, now since the boiler was fitted a few years ago we have never touched this button it has always stayed on max setting but will not now fire up boiler unless it is set one notch down which is fine the boiler was doing its job heat an water until yesterday when it went wrong again heating is fine but when water is switched on its heating water ok but again the radiators are getting hot, do i have a boiler problem or has the 3way valve gone faulty, i will get a plumber round but due to all thats going on i cant get anyone to come so am just after a bit of advice as to if this is something i can repair myself thks

hi all , was having a few problems with my heating/hot water when water was put on it would heat up but also heat the radiators up so after bit off searching came up with the 3way port valve so i changed for a new one as when i looked at it when the water was on it was making a buzzing noise, so after it was replaced all was great well for a couple of days and it started playing up again but this time could not get heating or water at all the boiler would fire but constantly show flashing light i had my brother here and while trying to see if could find anything he turned down the thermostat on the boiler its self and it fired up straight away, now since the boiler was fitted a few years ago we have never touched this button it has always stayed on max setting but will not now fire up boiler unless it is set one notch down which is fine the boiler was doing its job heat an water until yesterday when it went wrong again heating is fine but when water is switched on its heating water ok but again the radiators are getting hot, do i have a boiler problem or has the 3way valve gone faulty, i will get a plumber round but due to all thats going on i cant get anyone to come so am just after a bit of advice as to if this is something i can repair myself thks
You can download the manual at Plumbase Centralheatking

yes swapped whole valve and think bled system properly rads are nice and hot, is there a proper way to bled system, i did it at picture 1&2 then bled all rads, picture 4 is new valve, pic 3 ive seen post where this level should have some resistance but there is none on mine and finally pic 5 is where heating will only switch on when at this setting if go to max boiler comes on but shows c and light flashes, any lower and comes on but radiators dont get hot

Attachments

• 1585752977018594678355038916821.jpg
    1585752977018594678355038916821.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 1585753018748714586802236824722.jpg
    1585753018748714586802236824722.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 15857530706087771656576967048062.jpg
    15857530706087771656576967048062.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 15857530896516376474636750350507.jpg
    15857530896516376474636750350507.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 15857532116714140962913678598637.jpg
    15857532116714140962913678598637.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 24
It’s either wired incorrectly or you have a rogue live wire coming from somewhere. Firstly double check your handy work. It could also be the new valve is faulty, but it could be literally any component on your heating system chucking out this rogue live. A process of elimination...can be a pain in the arse so first double check it’s a 3amp fuse fitted and also have a few to hand good luck

ok great thanks will double check all wiring but pretty sure its all as was when i wired new valve, wasnt easy as where it is wired they fitted it on top off floor boards so was a bit tight to get into but will check it all, if i post a picture are they all wired the same so if there is a wrong live you could see in picture

hi, ok so checked all wiring that i had done and it all looks ok there all tight in connector, will post a picture off the "mess " off wires was like this when replaced the valve
[automerge]1585990318[/automerge]
hi, ok so checked all wiring that i had done and it all looks ok there all tight in connector, will post a picture off the "mess " off wires was like this when replaced the valve

Attachments

• 20200402_135700.jpg
    20200402_135700.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 18
Oh yeh, yep the old snake pit set up...it looks alright from what I can see. Try removing the white wire and see if the valve moves to HW only position.

Oh yeh, yep the old snake pit set up...it looks alright from what I can see. Try removing the white wire and see if the valve moves to HW only position.

hi sorry for delay in getting back to you been a few manic weeks , ok so took the white wite out and the valve instantly reset itself back into auto and had resistance when try to move it , water comes on fine but no heating just get the c status and flashing light on boiler so ive had to put wire back in to get heating , have i messed up somewhere with wiring ?

If its a mid position valve the white wire is needed to move motor half way and grey moves the motor fully over for CH (there's two switches inside). With white wire disconnected you won't get any CH. I haven't read all the above comments by the way.

Are ports A and B correct way round.

hi sorry not sure what you mean all i did was replaced the valve and it went on the same as old one, the main pump was took off and cleaned at same time as was changing the valve as they was a lot off junk in the valve so I thought might ax well clean it while im here got me worried now that ive put something in the wrong way lol , have i put the pump on the wrong direction ?

Hello again...with that white out, turn off the CH demand and test at wire to see the voltage ac earth-live and neutral-live? Then test same at the connector it came out of also...post back results....

Hello again...with that white out, turn off the CH demand and test at wire to see the voltage ac earth-live and neutral-live? Then test same at the connector it came out of also...post back results..

hi sorry for delay in getting back, can i use a mega tester to test that i wont be doing it myself will be my brother so he just getting me to ask, do need power supplie off and what setting on the meter do use. thanks tom

Your testing for 240v~ so use the 600v~ setting on the multimeter. Turn power off at fuse, remove white wire, turn fuse back on, turn HW demand on. Connect black multimeter to a earth & connect red meter wire to terminal from which white wire was removed...240v~ = faulty controls. If your reading is 0-50~ = correct. If correct, connect your red meter wire to white wire...if this reads 240ac~ = a live from either incorrect wiring or faulty component. Also test the above swapping earth for neutral...sometimes easier taking all wires out the block and start again! Good luck

Your testing for 240v~ so use the 600v~ setting on the multimeter. Turn power off at fuse, remove white wire, turn fuse back on, turn HW demand on. Connect black multimeter to a earth & connect red meter wire to terminal from which white wire was removed...240v~ = faulty controls. If your reading is 0-50~ = correct. If correct, connect your red meter wire to white wire...if this reads 240ac~ = a live from either incorrect wiring or faulty component. Also test the above swapping earth for neutral...sometimes easier taking all wires out the block and start again! Good luck

that's great thanks will get on it asap and let you know results đź‘Ť

Reply to ideal he15 advice please in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock