Search the forum,

Discuss I'd like to remove a gas stove and put a real fireplace instead, do I need a plumber? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

ade

Hi team,

We just moved into a new property that has a gas stove where once there was a fireplace. The chimney is still there so we would like to remove the gas stove and put there a real fireplace. From what I can see, there's a metal tube that goes from my gas meter into this stove. Do I need a plumber for removing the gas stove? Can I call the gas company? I am kind of afraid of letting those that will put the fireplace having taking care of the gas pipe

Many Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7097.jpg
    IMG_7097.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 11
I would search the "gas safe register" for a local engineer. If it's gas it has to be done by a registered engineer.

Agree. Gas Safe registered installer ('engineer') to decommission (perhaps they could remove the gas supply and leave other, cheaper contractors to do the donkey work of pulling out the old insert) and then another firm to do the new fireplace.

You need to have it properly decommissioned, do not allow the builders near it unless they are suitable qualified.

Using an open fireplaces (if that's what you're planning) is all very well but they are hugely inefficient as 80% of the heat shoots straight up the chimney not to mention the environmental issues with burning wood. If you want a truly useable feature think about installing a multifuel stove, that is the way to go where you can use smokeless fuels and recycled briquettes and heat logs.

Agree I too have serious concerns about the burning of wood. I have noticed locally that while my chimney (reasonably modern woodburner and very good quality firewood seasoned several years under cover in a dry but cold climate and kept indoors for the last couple of weeks before burning) rarely shows visible smoke, many of my neighbours' chimneys belch out smoke.

This is the result. It's not fog over the village. It's smoke, and it smells accordingly:
SAM_5960'.jpg

That said, if it's an ornamental fireplace, then possibly going to be used 6 times a year, does it really matter?

May be worth considering an inset stove, however. You can usually run them with doors open, so no disadvantage over an open fire, but can also shut the glass doors and then what you have is an efficient burner (size of glass on modern appliances is such now that there is very little reason to prefer an open fire anyway).

Thank you all for your answers, I have scheduled an appointment with a gas safe registered plumber on Friday.
About the fireplace, is really more an ornamental thing other than real use, the room is small and has a working radiator . I actually just bought some thermostatic valve today with a smart thermostat for better efficiency. It isn't really noticeable from the picture but the fireplace under the stove is the kind of very small, traditional UK ones, those where the wood needs to lay on the wall. It's less than a hand deep

Reply to I'd like to remove a gas stove and put a real fireplace instead, do I need a plumber? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock